Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie Bin Problem

Options
  • 06-01-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Just looking for some opinions here. A couple of months back a new family moved into the house beside us. Since then not once have they taken their bins in, they're contantly left in the front garden and they're left in a position such that when we open our hall door it's the first thing we see. The first few weeks we gave benefit of doubt as we associated it with the move, then you had Christmas so again benefit of doubt given. But this morning they're still there to greet us when we open the door and just to add, they seem to be constantly overflowing. So this morning as you can imagine with the weather the lids have blown open and there's bits of crap everywhere.

Is it a reasonable thing to ask that they at least tuck them out of sight (there is easy potential to do this) instead of leaving them where they are? It just seems lazy to me and even careless in some cases as they've been dumped on the divider between properties on occasion and we work hard to maintain that (plants etc) so it's been something that's grating on us these past few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭myIdea

When you say "not once have they taken their bins in" what exactly do you mean... ?

Have they got a side gate or passage.
    An extended front garden, possible different location.

Just say it out straight in conversation or jest... what your feelings are about looking at wheelie bins, an ice breaker w/could be...

"Its just as well the weather is cooler this time of year... because during the warmer months the fly's around your bin's will be awful and so close to our front door, I'd have to ask you to move them.."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If it bothers you so much then knock on their door, introduce yourself, and then request (in a friendly manner of course) that they take their bins out back in future, as they are causing litter to gather at the front in this poor weather, and also that you dont like looking at them when you open your front door.

If this gets you nowhere then perhaps get in touch with their landlord (if they are renting).

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Adrift

not once have they taken their bins in" what exactly do you mean
    ... ?

Sorry, should've explained better. When the bins are collected they just leave them in their front garden, almost encroaching on our own front garden and out of their own view obviously. (There's nothing but a divider with a small row of plants between properties) My point is, apart from it being an eyesore, 99% of people here bring the bins out their own back yard ones they've been collected. We all have side entrances here and all even have an area in the front garden where they could be tucked away out of everyone's view.

Thanks for the advice Djimi, I was debating knocking in, they seem decent enough. I'd hate for my first introduction to be a complaint if you can appreciate that. It's rented so contacting the Landlord could be an option. I know it may seem like a trivial thing but we're up here 6 years and have never had to look at overflowing bins before, I'd hate to think it will be same craic in the summer where you'd have to deal with the smell of the things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Adrift wrote: »
    My point is, apart from it being an eyesore, 99% of people here bring the bins out their own back yard ones they've been collected.

And because 99% do, they should too - yeah, right.

You have a valid complaint if the lids are blowing open and rubbish is scattering. If "tucking them out of sight" will stop that problem - then it's a good thing to suggest. But leave out the bit about them being ugly - I think silver cars are ugly, but that doesn't give me the right to say my neighbours cannot have one on their property.

I don't think that the smell in summer is a valid issue - the bins will smell as much as the back of the house as the front, and be just as much an issue for the neighbours.

Frankly, the fact that you didn't bother introducing yourself to them before an issue arose has pretty much guaranteed that you're going to look like a complainer no matter what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

But leave out the bit about them being ugly - I think silver cars are ugly, but that doesn't give me the right to say my neighbours cannot have one on their property.

Its not even remotely close to being the same thing though. Not wanting to look at bins at the front of the house is a valid complaint that Im sure the vast majority of people would have. They are a dirty eyesore, and its almost certainly just laziness on the part of the neighbour to leave them there.

• Advertisement

Its not even remotely close to being the same thing though. Not wanting to look at bins at the front of the house is a valid complaint that Im sure the vast majority of people would have

I agree, a car belongs in a driveway no matter what you may think of it. Even a banger detracts less from the look of the area than an overflowing bin.

Frankly, the fact that you didn't bother introducing yourself to them before an issue arose has pretty much guaranteed that you're going to look like a complainer no matter what you do.

I didn't bother? You've made it out that I haven't made the effort, which I don't think is the case. It's simply that I just haven't seen them in person yet. I'd always make the effort to introduce myself, I think it's unlucky that there's an issue here before I've gotten to do so.

It's definitely an eyesore, not just the bins, the overflowing, and the fact that they greet us upon opening the door. I'm sure if I were to show you a picture of the view from our front door you'd agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's their garden, they can leave their bins where they want within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

The neighbor isn't breaking any laws. If there's rubbish blowing around the place that's fair enough and id suggest that's brought up with the neighbor.

However they are entitled to keep their bins in their front garden if they want. The OP has to just suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Definitely introduce yourself. Exchange pleasantries. Then wait a day or two and then call in about the bins.

they can leave their bins where they want within it

So right on the line between the two properties right in view of our hall door is the best place, sometimes on top of the stuff we've planted? Are you my new neighbour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It's their garden, they can leave their bins where they want within it.

Many council areas have bye-laws about keeping bins out of sight of the public when not left out for collection and also rules about how early bins can be left out for collection.

OP check with the litter warden in your area.

Many council areas have bye-laws about keeping bins out of sight of the public when not left out for collection and also rules about how early bins can be left out for collection.

Thanks - I'll look into that.

Advertisement