Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does black make you look slimmer?

Options
  • 05-01-2014 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I am 5"8 male and I use to weigh 15 stone and I have lost 2 stone recently and I have this social function coming up next weekend and I am pretty self conscious about it and I was just wondering if I wear a black shirt with black jeans will it make me slimmer looking? I realise that I have lost weight but I just want to look as slim as possible and wanted to know would dressing in black make you look slimmer?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Littlelulu13

stephan1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am 5"8 male and I use to weigh 15 stone and I have lost 2 stone recently and I have this social function coming up next weekend and I am pretty self conscious about it and I was just wondering if I wear a black shirt with black jeans will it make me slimmer looking? I realise that I have lost weight but I just want to look as slim as possible and wanted to know would dressing in black make you look slimmer?

Thanks for your help.

It might and then it might make you look like a barman/priest etc.... Sorry :/

Vertical stripes can be slimming, not horizontal. Try different things. You would be surprised what styles, fabrics etc could make you slim

Well done on the loss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Congrats on the weight loss.

Black can be slimming, but it's not guaranteed. Style, fit and fabric are much more important for dressing your body than colour. Try on clothes & take a picture of yourself in them. I find mobile phone photos with a flash on are so unforgiving that they regularly help me weed out the clothes that do nothing for me.

Darker colours can be more slimming than lighter ones.

But wearing all black, while it may be slimming, could end up looking bad. I'd say choose either the shirt or the jeans, but not both at the same time. It worked for Johnny Cash, but personally I find that if someone is wearing all one colour it can both look quite dull and also accentuate their figure, as there's nothing breaking up their look.

I'd second the suggestion of stripes. I think a nice striped shirt can look very slimming on men.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Personally, I find white is rather slimming on me, surprisingly. Another thing I find rather slimming is v-neck t-shirts. I'd definitely advise against wearing a black t-shirt with black jeans, if you want to wear a black t-shirt I'd suggest wearing a pair of chinos or regular jeans with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A well-cut suit would be the most slimming of all but it depends on how formal you want to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Which parts of your body do you like best? If it's your legs, wear something that shows them off. If your waist/tummy is your slimmest part, wear something that shows that off, etc. I think that makes a bigger difference than focussing on colours only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JerryZ1988

I think a hair style means a lot to a lady. A proper hairstyle would help a lot

Advertisement