Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killzone + knack....did Sony screw up?

Options
  • 05-01-2014 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

The sheer amount of copies being sold on or traded in is gobsmacking! :eek:
    If you try trade it in to Smyths or Gamestop you'll be lucky to get a tenner!

I dont know why these two games are looked down upon sooo much, but nobody wants them :(

I think sony made a huge mistake packing these two games with bundles, the problem is that ordinary retail copies (not the "not for resale") are being effected to and their resale or trade-in price has been hugely effected also.

I read Killzone sold 1 million copies....yeah, all of them with bundles and the shops are flooded with copies, i saw CEX had like 30 copies of Killzone! :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not seeing how Sony messed up. Considering it's a launch title, a million copies of Killzone sold is doing pretty well and Knack was made on a low budget. They were both very poor games but they sold well, the awful knack even outsold Mario 3D World.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Average to poor launch games that are bundled in with consoles are always going to show up a lot in trade ins. Sony really doesn't care if people can't get decent value when they're looking to get rid of their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really can't call Shadowfall a poor game. I though it was great and could give a run for its money to a lot of big boys out there.

It's just a shame that people get all "high and mighty critics" on first person shooters ( military) and those are only good if they got cod or bf in their titles. Under rated game. Specially when people never played it, but already mark it as poor, because it's launch title.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Unfortunately Sony have been chasing the fps dragon for years and have never got there.
    Killzone and it's sequels have never been much cop.
    Don't rate the latter CoD and BF titles much either, xenophobic gunw@nk that they are.
    From the reviews Knack seems to be a substandard 3rd person brawler.
    Such a pity that Sony with all of their brilliant 1st party studios can't produce something we all just have to play.
    Pack in sales number a don't really count anyway, whatever about Killzone Knack would never have been anything but a low selling niche title had it not been included with the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sony shot themselves in the foot shutting down studio liverpool because I am sorry that team was too talented to simply do away with like that and ps4 could of really benefit having Wipeout as a launch title to showcase what the system can do, even more so than killzone or knack.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If Wipeout had been a launch title I would have been at the front of the line for the PS4.
    There's little I wouldn't do for the next title in the series.
    It looked like, after Wipeout on the PS2, that the series had tanked but the releases on the PSP, PS3 and, more recently, on the Vita haveade it essential again.
    Ridge Racer on the other hand is a franchise in decline, I think Namco need to get back to basics, get rid of the boost nonsense and produce the series that had such an identity of its own, until they tried to turn it into every other racing franchise out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Unfortunately Sony have been chasing the fps dragon for years and have never got there.
    Killzone and it's sequels have never been much cop.
    Don't rate the latter CoD and BF titles much either, xenophobic gunw@nk that they are.
    From the reviews Knack seems to be a substandard 3rd person brawler.
    Such a pity that Sony with all of their brilliant 1st party studios can't produce something we all just have to play.
    Pack in sales number a don't really count anyway, whatever about Killzone Knack would never have been anything but a low selling niche title had it not been included with the system.

The Killzone games for the most part look lovely but do fall into the brown/grey colour scheme, the new one less so as it has some beautiful looking exteriors and at least colourful levels. I do like how weighty you feel in the environments in them though

as for next gen racers, can someone just please make Burnout 3 HD? kthxbai

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just going by Killzone 2 and 3 but both were brilliant online games that genuinely felt different to the multitude of other shooters out there. It's on my list to get when I do eventually get a PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

jenjenten wrote: »
    The sheer amount of copies being sold on or traded in is gobsmacking! :eek:
    If you try trade it in to Smyths or Gamestop you'll be lucky to get a tenner!

I dont know why these two games are looked down upon sooo much, but nobody wants them :(

I think sony made a huge mistake packing these two games with bundles, the problem is that ordinary retail copies (not the "not for resale") are being effected to and their resale or trade-in price has been hugely effected also.

I read Killzone sold 1 million copies....yeah, all of them with bundles and the shops are flooded with copies, i saw CEX had like 30 copies of Killzone! :eek:

CEX probably have so many copies due to giving €22 cash for either game and close to €30 credit. Smyths or Gamestop offering a tenner is pretty strange to be honest.

I can understand people trading in the games if they don't like them, why keep a bundled game when you can get 20 or so quid back. There are a fair few copies of Dead Rising 3 etc in the shops too. I personally would trade in any of the above titles if it made sense financially as I have no interest in any of them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not seeing how Sony messed up. Considering it's a launch title, a million copies of Killzone sold is doing pretty well and Knack was made on a low budget. They were both very poor games but they sold well, the awful knack even outsold Mario 3D World.

What I can't wrap by head around is killzone gets lower reviews than COD which has been the same game for years and years and would have to be the most generic game in existence.

I wish killzone would just stick to the KZ2 formula, but they'll never cop onto themselves though and go after COD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

But it's so beautiful.

ieeBikBF4Aflh.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My brain is unable to process so much grey.

At least the Modern Warfare titles introduced colour back into fps, though Bulletstorm probably did it best, it looked amazing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I played through much of Killzone and it bored me to tears

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So Sony sold a PS4 bundle, people trade in the game when they are done with it and buy another game?

Sounds like Sony's model is screwed alright !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I don't play FPS games usually - Bulletstorm being a notable exception, but I have to say I've enjoyed what I've played of Shadowfall so far - it's been 50/50 between that and Resogun for me in terms of time spent playing. Not as 'grey' as I'd feared it'd be. Picked up Battlefield 4 as well but haven't even bothered opening the box yet.

eddhorse wrote: »
    So Sony sold a PS4 bundle, people trade in the game when they are done with it and buy another game?

Sounds like Sony's model is screwed alright !

Think it through.
    Who who got the Knack or Killzone Bundle is going to buy the other new?
    No, they'll trade in the one they got and buy the other preowned.
    And so Sony will lose out on both new game sales and on the game itself as a pack in.
    I'd say Sony lost a few bob on Killzone at least, Knack was cheap enough to make.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

SM3D world has now outsold the game 4 fold at this point, so justice is now served.

Sony were always going to lose money on Killzone. A triple A game with a massive budget being sold to a 2 million user install base won't make it's money back (maybe in the long term with digital sales but that remains to be seen). It was put out there as a show piece for the new hardware, same with Ryse on the XBox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Sony were always going to lose money on Killzone. A triple A game with a massive budget being sold to a 2 million user install base won't make it's money back (maybe in the long term with digital sales but that remains to be seen). It was put out there as a show piece for the new hardware, same with Ryse on the XBox One.

except ryse is fun :P haha very little replay value though
    suppose these 2 launch titles where to show just how good graphically next gen consoles could get and they will most likely get better looking over the consoles life cycle

but launch title exclusives are generally bad games anyway can't really remember a console that first came out that had decent games
    this year with all these new games coming out its definitely a year to own a next gen game
    its all about taking steps :)

• Advertisement

By reading this thread I just realised: "People already got opinion on one or another franchise and that opinion is set in the stone".
    Even if Killzone will be near perfect game its still going to be Killzone and marked as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

well to my understanding killzone and knack were always going to be more a tech demo than a solid game simply to show what the system can do.

I love Mark Cerny , he was involved which is one of my favourite games of all time sonic 2 and been a key man with top studios like universal, naughty dog and insomniac but Every time I looked at knack the more I just seen it the more it just seemed as a tech demo to show how many individual polygons you have display on the fly.

With Killzone I am sorry I have played 1,2 and 3 and while I put over 150 hours into the killzone 2 online if the same were to arrve tomorrow I would never touch it again. the series is dull and does absolutely nothing new for the fps genre which has been battered and bruised last generation am sick of the sight of it.
    Shadowfall looks the same.

By reading this thread I just realised: "People already got opinion on one or another franchise and that opinion is set in the stone".
    Even if Killzone will be near perfect game its still going to be Killzone and marked as ****.

No, I've played them all and they are all pretty much as bland and dull as each other. Single player mind, I've no interest in multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I've heard plenty of people say Resident Evil 4 was good, but they hated the earlier games, so I don't think people are that set in their ways. Except the lunatic fanboy types, whose opinions should be discounted.

To be fair to people who discount Killzone though. It's called Killzone.

I can't believe they kept that title. They could have called it Helghast or Space War or Space Sort-of-Nazis or Call of Intergalactic Battle Duty in a Field. Anything but 'Killzone' - it's impossibly bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Give me any Killzone game over any CoD game any day except Cod 4 Modern Warfare. CoD is just a case of throwing as much sh1te on screen at one time as you possibly can and try to shoot it all with unlimited enemies and random explosions. Shadow Fall while no Far Cry 3 is a very decent FPS, best FPS I've played since Far Cry 3 or Halo 4.

I really don't get people saying Killzone is bland and all brown and grey. It's not a cartoon game or COD for people with ADHD that need to be shooting 20 soldiers per seconds while shooting down a squadron of fighter jets on their own.

No, I've played them all and they are all pretty much as bland and dull as each other. Single player mind, I've no interest in multiplayer.

I played second and third one and they were bland and boring. I played shadowfall and I loved it. It made me more interested in lore of Killzone. You played back to back Shadowfall to judge it and call it poor game?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sony probably did the right thing in that they only had x amount of consoles to ship/ sell. Had it been a AAA game like Drive Club it would have hindered sales in the short to medium term.

So prolly for the best Killzone/Knack was chosen.

I've heard plenty of people say Resident Evil 4 was good, but they hated the earlier games, so I don't think people are that set in their ways. Except the lunatic fanboy types, whose opinions should be discounted.

To be fair to people who discount Killzone though. It's called Killzone.

I can't believe they kept that title. They could have called it Helghast or Space War or Space Sort-of-Nazis or Call of Intergalactic Battle Duty in a Field. Anything but 'Killzone' - it's impossibly bland.

The point why shadowfall is so much better, because it finally shows Hellgast from other perspective. If what I am more on Helgast side after shadowfall as the "goodie" side are bigger scumbags.

It finally went from battlefields to a more human average Joe level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ok I get the point that a user will trade in killzone for instance and get knack second hand.

Would this not happen with any launch title, did it not happen with the PS3 also?

Ed

• Advertisement

I don't remember the PS3 having a bundle at launch.
    And what a bizarre launch it was, those as were as mad as a box of frogs.
    Best pack in ever, Super Mario World, pity anyone else trying to sell a game on the first year of the SNES' life when one of its best games was given away free.
    Same went for the N64, although at launch I had to buy Mario 64 separately.

Advertisement