Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Interest Relief went down??

Options
  • 04-01-2014 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else's mortgage interest relief go down this month. Was it a change in the budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

woodoo wrote: »
    Did anyone else's mortgage interest relief go down this month. Was it a change in the budget.

Did you buy in 2007?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The interest element of your payment would usually be calculated annually. If there's less interest there's less MIR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Did you buy in 2007?

Yeah i took out my mortgage in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Are you in arrears?
    If so, have a read.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Right unfortunately because of the Boards.ie outage yesterday all the replies were lost. So to summarise;

* anyone who bought between 2004 & 2008 will receive TRS until 2017
    *after year seven the cap will kick in (6k for couples & 3k for individuals)
    * from January 2014 lenders have been instructed to pay relief on the actual interest paid, so this will affect anyone who is in arrears or in a debt repayment schedule
    * sometimes there are fluctuations in the TRS at the beginning of the tax year, these tend to balance out in the following month or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Are there any tips to get the most out of TRS?

eg. Is it a bad idea to overpay mortgage (and reduce interest) while still eligible for TRS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

gaius c wrote: »
    Are you in arrears?
    If so, have a read.

No thankfully i am not in arrears or negative equity. I built a good house for a very reasonable amount of money. But money would be a little tight so i notice any little change in money coming in or going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aeriora

Hi, I wonder if you could help me.

My partner and I (both first time buyers) bought a house in december 2012 and took a mortgage of 250k. In 2013 the relief was 300 euro, since January 2014 it is 230euro, it's quite a big jump. Is this how it's supposed to be or is it a (hopefully) wrong miscalculation somewhere? Do I need to call revenue and ask them?

Thanks for any replies.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

aeriora wrote: »
    Hi, I wonder if you could help me.

My partner and I (both first time buyers) bought a house in december 2012 and took a mortgage of 250k. In 2013 the relief was 300 euro, since January 2014 it is 230euro, it's quite a big jump. Is this how it's supposed to be or is it a (hopefully) wrong miscalculation somewhere? Do I need to call revenue and ask them?

Thanks for any replies.

Call revenue as they are the only ones privy to all the details.

Advertisement