Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College assignment question

Options
  • 04-01-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Just a quick question - would there be any issues adding part of a previous assignment I submitted to a current one? Or would this be classed as a form of cheating?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

If its using text from a previous essay you've submitted it is usually taken as a form of plagiarism unless you reference it correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eoin_mclove

Thanks for the quick response, Sammy :)

Just so I'm clear - if it's copying the same work that was referenced correctly would this still be classed as plagiarism?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Thanks for the quick response, Sammy :)

Just so I'm clear - if it's copying the same work that was referenced correctly would this still be classed as plagiarism?

You should really check your college policies on this. It's not plagiarism if you identify and attribute work correctly. That said it would possibly be seen as lazy if you don't present that much original work. Email your lecturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yeah id definitely check first, if you reference the part from your previous work (ie reference yourself) in your new one i think it should be ok...but always check, will help you down the road with thesis' and things

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eoin_mclove

TheChizler wrote: »
    You should really check your college policies on this. It's not plagiarism if you identify and attribute work correctly. That said it would possibly be seen as lazy if you don't present that much original work. Email your lecturer?
    The policy wasn't 100% clear, hence the reason for my post, and my lecturer is unreachable at the moment. To be fair, most of it is original work anyway - there's just referenced parts of a previous assignment I submitted that I think will fit in well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement