Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn

Options
  • 04-01-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed how bad Sueperquinn has gotten since being bought over by Super Value? I was there yesterday and this evening and the veg stock levels were abysmal. I don't think it was restocked at all today which I thought was unusual, being a Saturday. Simple things like mushrooms, broccoli, peppers were no where to be found and fish was a bit of a no go area too.

I'd noticed it slipping in the last few weeks but just thought they were finding their feet. It's a pity because i'd always considered it to be the best supermarket in Limerick and never minded paying the little bit extra as I found the service and range of products good.

My loyalty is beginning to dwindle...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's not just since Musgrave's took it over. The place is open almost 13 years and it's never been done up. The bakery is nothing compared to what it used to be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Fully agree, stock levels not what they used to be. Probably a sign of how they will be run into the future sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Stock levels have always been an issue, not just since Supervalue took over. Go in there after 6pm-7pm and try to find bread or veg - its impossible. Go up to Dunnes on Childers Road or in the Parkway and its often hard to get down the aisles because of re-stocking trollies.

Their choice of products has increased a little however, which isn't a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

DBIreland wrote: »
    Fully agree, stock levels not what they used to be. Probably a sign of how they will be run into the future sadly.

If you visit other Supervalu it isn't that way at all! In fact they are really well stocked

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

Its always been an issue since Fergal Quinn sold the company a number of years back. When Quinn ran it, there was never an issue of low stock because it was his policy to always have the shelves full to the max. Youd imagine with Musgraves buying power that it would be the same now and that they would want the shop looking much better but from what I gather, a refit is on the cards. Shamrock youre right it hasnt been done up since day one and even when Quinn sold it, the promises which were made to totally refit the stores fell through for most of them.

Quinn had always said he never wanted to move outside of Dublin because he would have no control over stores outside of the capital. he said it for years and looking back on it now, he was right. Over expansion proved to be the problem for him. Amongst other issues. Incredible businessman and id say hed be ashamed to walk into the castletroy store now and see how bad its gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,425 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've noticed this in two other Superquinns. We used always like going to them but the last few times we were disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭VikingG

Stocklevels have always been an issue with Superquinn.... anything outside of key times you can find that they don't have basic veg (carrots even!) or items like chicken fillets.
    i think the supervalu take over has added a range of good quality supervalu brand product that is well priced .. much better than the previous superquinn own brand products..

Its always been an issue since Fergal Quinn sold the company a number of years back. When Quinn ran it, there was never an issue of low stock because it was his policy to always have the shelves full to the max. Youd imagine with Musgraves buying power that it would be the same now and that they would want the shop looking much better but from what I gather, a refit is on the cards. Shamrock youre right it hasnt been done up since day one and even when Quinn sold it, the promises which were made to totally refit the stores fell through for most of them.

Quinn had always said he never wanted to move outside of Dublin because he would have no control over stores outside of the capital. he said it for years and looking back on it now, he was right. Over expansion proved to be the problem for him. Amongst other issues. Incredible businessman and id say hed be ashamed to walk into the castletroy store now and see how bad its gone.
    The store in swords was recently redesigned so maybe it shows the stores in Dublin get more attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

The Limerick shop has been in decline for years but it seems noticably worse since they started the SuperValu transition.

You can't rely on them to have anything when you need it.

Sparsely stocked shelves, basics out of stock in the fruit and veg. Even the once impressive craft beer selection is no more.....

Also, the attitude of the staff is a long way from Fergal's ideals. I politely queried a pricing anomaly with a supervisor last week and got the 'not my fault/ can't do anything about that' line.

SuperQuinn was never noted for being cheap but it did offer a more pleasant, customer focussed and generally higher end shopping experience than the other supermarkets.

With all that gone now - and it can only get worse with SuperValu branding - , and unreliable stock availability, there is really no reason to go there anymore.

Come on M&S - the Parkway is waiting for you and there is an opening in the market. The time is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Agreed regarding the fruit & veg especially, I have been in on at least three occasions since Christmas looking for fresh corn on the cob which they used to always stock but it seems they only have the rotten packaged crap now.

It's a pity to see it like this and I hope it doesn't continue because I enjoy shopping in a pyjama free zone unlike other supermarkets in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Musgraves expect quite a high standard from their stores and have a fairly regular system of audits in place to see this is achieved. I'd be surprised to see this continue (though I haven't been in the store in a long time so haven't any idea as to the specifics of this case).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Musgraves expect quite a high standard from their stores and have a fairly regular system of audits in place to see this is achieved. I'd be surprised to see this continue (though I haven't been in the store in a long time so haven't any idea as to the specifics of this case).

I think most SuperValu shops are OK and quite well maintained.

But SuperQuinn always had an edge in the over all shopping experience. The atmosphere in the store, the attitude/training of the staff, quality and range of ingredients etc.

I think a lot of that will be lost now as SuperValu fights it out with the other major supermarkets on pricing alone.

Of course the economy in the last few years has shifted customer's priorities and with Lidl & Aldi on their door step (in Limerick anyway), some changes had to be made.

But to me, dumping the whole brand and everything it stands for was over the top and may be something they will eventually come to regret when the economy picks up.....

So, seriously, I do think there is an opening now for M&S in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭manna452121

On a side-track.Has anyone noticed a change in Ivans of Caherdavin.Their seems to be a similiar cut back on stock etc.

On a side-track.Has anyone noticed a change in Ivans of Caherdavin.Their seems to be a similiar cut back on stock etc.

Werent they taken over in the last few months? By one of the supermarkets groups?

Flyer28 wrote: »
    But SuperQuinn always had an edge in the over all shopping experience. The atmosphere in the store, the attitude/training of the staff, quality and range of ingredients etc.

I agree 100% with this. The one in Waterford by the RSC (not sure if there was another) was a fairly regular haunt of mine for a couple of years and I actually enjoyed going in there.
    Flyer28 wrote: »
    But to me, dumping the whole brand and everything it stands for was over the top and may be something they will eventually come to regret when the economy picks up.....

I don't think Musgraves will regret it tbh, for them it was always about adding to their collection of stores rather than branching out into new markets. They can't lose what they never had as such. Equally there's no doubt that not all the SuperQuinn stores were viable in their previous form either so from Musgraves point of view this was probably the only way they could justify the purchase of SuperQuinn in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Went into the former Superquinn yesterday, never again, Staff there seem to have no regard for customers, worst customer service ever.
    Got a few items including some of their bakery stuff, no barcode so I went to the check out, only one open and the girl there was operating at half speed, scanning stuff soooo slowly, two customers in front of me one being served was on oldish lady and the operator when she finally finished scanning the items got up and went to help the lady bag her stuff at that stage there was 4 people queuing. By the time I was eventually served there was a line behind me, 7 customers I reckon. Would have given out but the wife was with me and the operator was non irish so bit my tongue. Why was I so annoyed, within 2 metres of the till 3 staff were having the crack, 2 girls slagging a guy, two more were sorting out the cash container thingys for the empty check outs, 5 staff ignoring the queue plus an older guy sorting out the baskets and stuff annnd a suit going around with a camera snapping the stock aisles and taking notes he actually produced a tape measure and proceeded to measure the gap between the various check outs while I was still waiting. GRRRRRRR ok rant over, will not put myself in that position again, goodbye Supervalu.:mad:

mikehn wrote: »
    Would have given out but the wife was with me and the operator was non irish so bit my tongue.

Why does that make a difference?

Obvious, I didn't think that her English was good enough to take on board my annoyance, trying to explain to someone who might have difficulty understanding would have been a bridge too far for me at the time.

mikehn wrote: »
    Obvious, I didn't think that her English was good enough to take on board my annoyance, trying to explain to someone who might have difficulty understanding would have been a bridge too far for me at the time.

It was up to you obviously but if you were that aggrieved she probably had a manager you could have spoken to about your issues rather than sharing them with the likes of me on the internet.

I bet her English would have sufficed too if you'd wanted to press the issue with her. Never mind eh? Opportunity missed.

It was up to you obviously but if you were that aggrieved she probably had a manager you could have spoken to about your issues rather than sharing them with the likes of me on the internet.

I can't comment on the "likes of you" as I dont know you. With regards to sharing my views on the net this thread was started on the decline in standards in this store, like the other posters I am posting my experience which happens to relate to poor customer service , you are perfectly entitled to your own opinion of the worth of my post. I most certainly would have brought this to the attention of a senior staff member if I was on my own but as I stated in my initial post I was accompanied by my wife who would not have felt comfortable with me raising the issue at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I made the big switch last night and went to Dunnes Childers Road

I was really pleasantly surprised. The had a great range of fruit & veg and was well stocked at 8.30pm. I managed to get everything on my list and I can't remember the last time that happened in Supervalu. I think i'm a convert

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I actually think their fruit and veg section has improved under super valu and it seems to be better stocked and there is better deals available. The rest of the store is still poorly stocked. It doesn't look great when a shelf is half stocked. They're never full.
    My biggest issue with the store is the checkouts tho. The ladies on them are just way to slow! They need to take a leaf out of aldi or dunnes books when it comes to this. Unless I can use the express aisles I don't bother going in anymore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What's the range of booze like out there now? Many/any craft beers?

Advertisement