Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Headings

Options
  • 04-01-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

I am currently organising my notes copy but I am not that familiar with what to divide it in.
    Anyone could give me headings
    all I have so far is
    P1
    Comprehension
    Composition
    P2
    Poetry
    Drama-singe text
    Comparative Study(Could anyone tell me what that is ??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Comparative study is comparing the 2 texts and a film that you studied in class under a given heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Note: The following regards Higher Level only. Discussion headings vary for Ordinary Level.

The Comparative Study consists of a study of three texts. These are studied in a different manner to your Indepth Study.

These texts are studied from the point of view of certain assigned headings such as 'General Vison and Viewpoint', 'Cultural Context' and 'Theme or Issue'. They can vary from year to year but I believe these are the assigned headings for LC 2014.

Unlike your Indepth Study in which a great deal of time is spent reviewing the authors style, the Comparative Texts are read/watched etc. and then the students dissect the texts under the selected headings.

The texts can be plays, novels or films. If you do not cover a Shakespearean play in your Indepth then one must be selected for your Comparative.

In the exam, the question regarding the Comparative Study is comprised of a choice of one of four questions, each worth 70 marks. There are two headings with two questions referring to that heading. Sometimes the 70 marks is divided into two parts, each carrying 35 marks equally.

The Comparative Study is a strenuous section of the English Leaving Cert syllabus. Three texts must be studied carefully for high marks as good knowledge of the plot, characters, relationships, historical significance/background are all essential to answering the questions.

What is also challenging about this section is the comparing and contrasting of the three texts, hence, Comparative. One must discuss the texts in a comparative manner whilst remaining to the questions criteria.

I hope I helped you and many others understand the Comparative Study.

Plmko :)

Advertisement