Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite games magazine/article(s)?

Options
  • 04-01-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,559 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the 90s, the video game magazine was at it's peak and, for most, was the source of knowledge on the subject. On that front we were sometimes led astray into buying or renting some decidedly dodgy titles but the thing that always kept me, at least going back was the (often black) humour that a lot of these magazines had, particularly the UK ones, presumably because they were staffed by a cadre of cynical 20/30 somethings, and, like I say, I didn't have info coming from any other source.

Favourites of mine in the day would have been Sega Power and Nintendo Power, both owned by Future Publishing. More recently I've been thumbing through old copies of PC Zone where they used to let Charlie Brooker have his own column called 'Sick Notes'. What favourites stand out to ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Used to read a lot of edge, would've been more 2000's I guess.
    Always read Digitiser though. Religiously.
    Mr Biffo! Violet Berlin used to write for it as well I think along with others I can't remember. Where I got most of my gaming info, was too poor for mags most of the time.

Edit: Stuart Campbell was another contributor. And Mr Biffo was Paul Rose - had to look that up!

EditEdit: Just found archive of Stuart Campbell's work -http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/world/sections.htm
    Some quality games journalism there from loads of publications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Amiga Action was my favourite. Must be about 4 or 5 years worth up in my parents attic somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Used to love Sega Saturn Magazine, great reviews and features. Plus they gave away great cover discs, got the entirety of Christmas Nights on one, but I missed the issue they gave away the first disc of Panzer Dragoon Saga :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I religiously read digitiser for years even during my gap of having no other consoles between c64 and ps1.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sinclair User. After that folded (hehe) I didn't really religiously follow any gaming mag. PC Gamer sometimes but usually it was either PC or Linux Format that I'd pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

PCZone , threw out a large black bag full of them recently. They were just accumulating dust in the shed.
    Same went for all my old PSM/2 magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

SeantheMan wrote: »
    PCZone , threw out a large black bag full of them recently. They were just accumulating dust in the shed.
    Same went for all my old PSM/2 magazines.

Ah pity. I would have took them off you to flick through for the nostalgic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Digitizer was excellent back in the day. Mr Biffo had a regular spot in EDGE for a couple of years too.

I started out with CVG, moved on to the "console only" Mean Machines for many a year and then got PSM (I think that's what it was called) every month once Playstations were in. I remember it had custom covers by an anime artist that always popped out at you.

Went through a phase of buying about 4-5 mags a month during the PS2/Xbox/GC era before finally settling on EDGE until quite recently when I finally copped on and realised I could just find everything I needed online (including most of the content of EDGE!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Super Play was my bible. Loved the more Japanese influence and was the reason I bought and imported a copy of Secret of Mana.
    Digitizer also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Used to subscribe to PC Zone back in the day. Before that it was Commodore Format. These days I sometimes pick up the weekly published Micro Mart and I have to say for a cheep magazine it's very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I used to read loads of mags over the years, a short lived but really good one was Maximum, they did really long features on games their Mario 64 one must have been 8-10 pages. all the issues are online easily gotten too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Massive fan of Amiga Power back in the day, used to have stacks of them but threw them out years ago. Still follow some of the writers including Cam Winstanley and Stuart Campbell

Advertisement