Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding afters?

Options
  • 04-01-2014 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

`Folks,

Going to the afters of a wedding tonight. Is a suit over the top or would a nice sports jacket, shirt and jeans/chinos do? Also how much do people normally give in a card for a wedding present at the afters.
    Its ages since I've been to one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would wear a suit, nice smart casual dress be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

Both options are good choices, whatever you feel comfortable in. I usually give fifty euro for a gift. Have a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Going to ditch the suit idea...feel more comfortable in a nice shirt and jacket.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jeans at a wedding? Leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

40 quid is what I give if invited in the evening.

It's usually after 9pm when I would arrive so shirt and a good pair of jeans does the job for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I would wear a suit also. Maybe without a tie. I have a few suits but don't wear them at work. Being invited to a wedding would be the perfect time to wear one of them. A gentlemen always looks better in a suit and wearing one shows respect to the wedding couple.

Certainly no jeans IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't wear jeans to anything as formal as a wedding reception. I'd wear slacks or chinos, a shirt (tie maybe) and a jacket/blazer.

A suit is not too over the top, as you won't be over dressed for it (practically everyone who has been there all day will be in a suit). But it's not essential.

But I would definitely, positively eschew jeans on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

would agree with other posters OP that jeans are a no-no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Concerning whether to Jean to not, I think it heavily depends on how one defines 'jeans' exactly; i.e. there are your typical blue jeans, but there are also navy / black / beige etc 'pants made from denim' which can look well in a dressy context.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement