Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Dictionary

Options
  • 04-01-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

hey guys, does anyone know if there is an open source irish dictionary database available to download somewhere?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

cannot comment on quality
    http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/focloiri-gaeilge

I'm not sure if libre office offer the same though they do have an Irish version of the application itself.
    http://ga.libreoffice.org/
    Perhaps you can find more there.

If you do have any success perhaps you might post back for future reference in case anyone else is looking for the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

thanks a lot for these guys, i've passed them to my coder now to see if they are any use to him so i'll report back when i know more. thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

List of fedora linux packages related to Irish language:

aspell-ga.x86_64 : Irish dictionaries for Aspell
    hunspell-ga.noarch : Irish hunspell dictionaries
    hyphen-ga.noarch : Irish hyphenation rules
    mythes-ga.noarch : Irish thesaurus
    texlive-babel-irish.noarch : babel-irish package
    texlive-babel-irish-doc.noarch : Documentation for babel-irish
    texlive-hyphen-irish.noarch : Irish hyphenation patterns
    autocorr-ga.noarch : Irish auto-correction rules
    libreoffice-langpack-ga.x86_64 : Irish language pack for LibreOffice

Let me know if you still need the dict.

ok guys, here is the feedback from my developer, sorry for my ignorance on this matter, and for pestering you guys

"I want something like a plain text or SQL script that has a list of words in irish and its definition. I also want a list of irish words and its translation to english.
    I'm not sure about these linux packages and libreoffice extensions, do you think I can extract a word list, definition and translation from them?
    I want to use it in a software we are developing.
    thanks"

i am a graphic designer, so don't really understand this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

abstrakt82 wrote: »
    do you think I can extract a word list, definition and translation from them?
    A list of words, yes, but I would doubt there is a definition and would be 90% sure there would be no translation.
    abstrakt82 wrote: »
    I want to use it in a software we are developing.
    Keep in mind, unless you are developing open source software then you could be in breach of any license to simply copy it into you own code. Sometimes it is allowe, but you would be wise to read the open source license used carefully - maybe even get some legal advise before you make a move with specific open source code. Be that program code or the supporting files - like a dictionary. Even if you are developing open source your license would have to be compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I am very curious as to what you are thinking of developing that would need the dictionary and translation!

It doesn't count as open source, but perhaps contacting foras na gaeilge might be a good idea, look at what they are saying here: http://www.focloir.ie/en/page/tools.html

+1 on the open source licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, check this out: http://borel.slu.edu/lsg/index-en.html

+1 to the licences, open source doesn't always mean "free as a beer" if you're making a commercial project.

thanks for these guys, i'll show to the developer and see what he thinks :)

hey guys, the app is ready, I posted here already but the post was removed as the code is not open source. being a graphic designer I didn't understand this previously, so apologies for posting it here. however, if anyone is interested to see the app, it's posted in the "show us your apps" thread.

I must stress again though that its not open source, so maybe i'm violating the rules by even mentioning it here, so I won't post a link

• Advertisement
Advertisement