Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CISSP advice

Options
  • 04-01-2014 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi

I am planning on taking the CISSP exam this year and would like advice on a few aspects of it from people that have the certification already...

- how long did you spend studying for it? I have a full-time job so is it realistic to aim for 6 months study (hour or two every night and more at weekends)?

- what study material did you use? I have the Shon Harris book and plan on using the cccure.org website, will that be enough? ...or did you find the need to buy multiple books for it?

- is it still viewed as one of the premier InfoSec certifications within the industry? Do employers here in Ireland still value it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I am also interested in the CISSP cert and am using the same book you mentioned.

Another problem to consider is finding a CISSP to sponsor your application. Unfortunately I do not know any one with this cert. That certainly makes it troublesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LionelHutz32

I am also interested in the CISSP cert and am using the same book you mentioned.

Another problem to consider is finding a CISSP to sponsor your application. Unfortunately I do not know any one with this cert. That certainly makes it troublesome.

If you can't find another CISSP certified person to sponsor your application, you can get ISC2 themselves to sponsor/evaluate your application. Have a look on their website for the details ....

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Yes I know that this is possible but are you then not subject to a full audit process? Having to prove every detail of previous work experience, contacting previous managers for statements of verification etc. It seems very long winded. I know of no other cert where you need sponsorship, you either simply pass the exam, or if experience is required, you simply make an attestation.
    That you have to sign an ethics statement, and then you still need sponsorship, as though you still cannot be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I looked at this about a year ago and spoke to an ISO 27001 auditor about it. From what he told me regarding the study I think you may be undershooting with 6 months. I have been working in with Information Security for about 4/5 years now and I would still be thinking along the lines of about a year to take it. Everyone is different, though.

Good luck if decide to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

I did the CISSP quite some time ago... about 6 months if you have a good feel for InfoSec already is possible... but to get to that point I spent a few years doing checkpoint exams, configuring Firewalls, reading around the subject etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LionelHutz32

I looked at this about a year ago and spoke to an ISO 27001 auditor about it. From what he told me regarding the study I think you may be undershooting with 6 months. I have been working in with Information Security for about 4/5 years now and I would still be thinking along the lines of about a year to take it. Everyone is different, though.

Good luck if decide to take it.[/QUOTE

Thanks ...yeah I'm reluctant to set a date yet for the exam as I'm not sure if 6 months if enough, some people have said they done it after 8 weeks, others after a year.
    I did the CISSP quite some time ago... about 6 months if you have a good feel for InfoSec already is possible... but to get to that point I spent a few years doing checkpoint exams, configuring Firewalls, reading around the subject etc...

And do you think do the CISSP was worth it for you in terms of your career? Do (Irish) employers still value it as much as they might of done in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Fitzinho

I did three months, about 2 hours an evening, five nights a week. Thought that was what most did from my research at the time. Passed anyway back in 2011. 6 months is plenty. Used the Shon Harris book and plenty of practice questions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

just wondering if ye guys done the cissp that time?

Advertisement