Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths

Options
  • 04-01-2014 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Has anybody got a site or maybe a book recommendation or their own tips that will help me understand project maths? Currently doing higher level and I'm doing enough to get me 75 points in the LC (including bonus). But I want to aim for the C3 or C2.

I'm struggling with trying to get my head around the question and what they're actually asking me to do. If they just gave me the figures and said "find X" I'd have no problem.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

Has anybody got a site or maybe a book recommendation or their own tips that will help me understand project maths? Currently doing higher level and I'm doing enough to get me 75 points in the LC (including bonus). But I want to aim for the C3 or C2.

I'm struggling with trying to get my head around the question and what they're actually asking me to do. If they just gave me the figures and said "find X" I'd have no problem.

Thanks in advance!

themathstutor.ie (Paid)
    projectmaths.ie (Free)

There's another free one but I forgot its name and also I think Less Stress More Success have a new Project Maths revision book

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

themathstutor.ie (Paid)
    projectmaths.ie (Free)

There's another free one but I forgot its name and also I think Less Stress More Success have a new Project Maths revision book

Thank you! Now to go and do 2 full sample papers due next Monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sparkyhav

http://alison.com/projectmaths/
    Great videos on topics throughout the course! It's free to register! :)

And as recommended before, less stress more success has revision books out :)

Sparkyhav wrote: »
    http://alison.com/projectmaths/
    Great videos on topics throughout the course! It's free to register! :)

And as recommended before, less stress more success has revision books out :)

Thank you! I'll definitely look into the revision book. If not, I'll resort to grinds haha

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

As someone teaching my advice is watch out for the mocks by revising at least three topics per paper. Paper two is easier. Just concentrate on hitting at least two hard and owning those questions. Sure project maths can throw up slop in your face but you know they only do that with some of the questions and thanks to us sico maths teachers (we got rid of some of the dopes making stupid questions) it should be that not too many are moronic. #Beilieve me anyway the course is a bit easier than before project maths with the new topics it does balance out. Just remember on the day there will be stupid questions but there will be okay ones too. The stupid questions are the ones though that proper A students real cool dudes should be able to do not always maths teachers. The ones that can problem solve.

~That is where is falls down though, some of the problem solving questions are just hit and miss for those students we really want to distinguish themselves.

Financial maths involves exponentials and handling them when you've just seem an example is okay but you will walk in blank maybe three weeks from having seen one and having revised tons of other things.

Believe me though if you have the balls and will work you should 99% get what you deserve.

The mocks are like a blood bath for those students in your grade zone. Be mentally prepared to get hammered. Try to get 30% in that test and build from there.

Less than that and its not hopeless just not to be advised. One student i had last year got 14% but passed the exam. He had natural ability maybe a bit all over the place but i liked his ability so i did not argue when he said he could do it. He did say though he thought he had failed. He got 425 total but I really wanted him to get a C3 but he had loads of projects to do and then left three weeks before closing to study alone. He was happy enough though.

Just what am I saying... project maths will hurt you but then again it can be cushy enough try to focus on covering papers and you can look up the solutions and get help with your teacher. Your like 0% of the way to passing when you finish the course unless you are real smart after that is when you really get into it as long as you worked up to that point as best as you can you can do it.

Tough it up!!

• Advertisement

As someone teaching my advice is watch out for the mocks by revising at least three topics per paper. Paper two is easier. Just concentrate on hitting at least two hard and owning those questions. Sure project maths can throw up slop in your face but you know they only do that with some of the questions and thanks to us sico maths teachers (we got rid of some of the dopes making stupid questions) it should be that not too many are moronic. #Beilieve me anyway the course is a bit easier than before project maths with the new topics it does balance out. Just remember on the day there will be stupid questions but there will be okay ones too. The stupid questions are the ones though that proper A students real cool dudes should be able to do not always maths teachers. The ones that can problem solve.

~That is where is falls down though, some of the problem solving questions are just hit and miss for those students we really want to distinguish themselves.

Financial maths involves exponentials and handling them when you've just seem an example is okay but you will walk in blank maybe three weeks from having seen one and having revised tons of other things.

Believe me though if you have the balls and will work you should 99% get what you deserve.

The mocks are like a blood bath for those students in your grade zone. Be mentally prepared to get hammered. Try to get 30% in that test and build from there.

Less than that and its not hopeless just not to be advised. One student i had last year got 14% but passed the exam. He had natural ability maybe a bit all over the place but i liked his ability so i did not argue when he said he could do it. He did say though he thought he had failed. He got 425 total but I really wanted him to get a C3 but he had loads of projects to do and then left three weeks before closing to study alone. He was happy enough though.

Just what am I saying... project maths will hurt you but then again it can be cushy enough try to focus on covering papers and you can look up the solutions and get help with your teacher. Your like 0% of the way to passing when you finish the course unless you are real smart after that is when you really get into it as long as you worked up to that point as best as you can you can do it.

Tough it up!!

Melanoma wrote: »

Tough it up!!

Thank you for the advice! I'll aim to at least pass for the mocks but once they're over, I'm gona knuckle down on the project maths. The English that accompanies the maths is just ridiculous. That's the only part that seems to get me. Is the maths paper somewhat predictable? I'm also hearing they give ridiculously easy attempt marks in the exams, hoping they'll go easy on me haha

Thank you for the advice! I'll aim to at least pass for the mocks but once they're over, I'm gona knuckle down on the project maths. The English that accompanies the maths is just ridiculous. That's the only part that seems to get me. Is the maths paper somewhat predictable? I'm also hearing they give ridiculously easy attempt marks in the exams, hoping they'll go easy on me haha

Think knuckle down before starting now and then prepare to be smashed up blown apart and thrown into another other dimension anyway.

Just think a D in the mocks would maybe get you to C2/C1 but if you do not go all out ... ... ...... no matter how hard you work after the mocks.

Melanoma wrote: »
    Think knuckle down before starting now and then prepare to be smashed up blown apart and thrown into another other dimension anyway.

Just think a D in the mocks would maybe get you to C2/C1 but if you do not go all out ... ... ...... no matter how hard you work after the mocks.

Yeah, I know I'll do terrible in the mocks. That'll provide me with some motivation to do even better in the LC. I will be over the moon with a C1 :)

Advertisement