Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert music Practical

Options
  • 03-01-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Well guys,

I had a mock practical a couple of weeks ago and I had these 4 pieces lined up

Coconut Skins- Damien Rice
    Heartbeats- Jose Gonzales
    A jazz progression by myself (Instrumental)
    and a trad Irish piece by some Irish fella (Instrumental)

So I played the two vocal pieces with guitar accompaniment first and then a few seconds into the first of my two instrumental pieces I was told that I had to play all my pieces in the same "medium" meaning vocal with accompaniment or instrumental, not both.

Just wondering is this the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Post moved from Music forums to Leaving cert. You'll get a better answer here. Good luck.

/Waves to the nice mods of the Leaving Cert forum. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Dozzo 14 wrote: »
    Well guys,

I had a mock practical a couple of weeks ago and I had these 4 pieces lined up

Coconut Skins- Damien Rice
    Heartbeats- Jose Gonzales
    A jazz progression by myself (Instrumental)
    and a trad Irish piece by some Irish fella (Instrumental)

So I played the two vocal pieces with guitar accompaniment first and then a few seconds into the first of my two instrumental pieces I was told that I had to play all my pieces in the same "medium" meaning vocal with accompaniment or instrumental, not both.

Just wondering is this the case?

What leaving cert option are you taking? 50% or 25%? What instrument were you being assessed on, voice or guitar?

The set up is generally as follows:

HL LC 50% Practical
    Either
    1. 6 pieces on one medium
    2. 4 pieces on one medium + 4 pieces on a second medium
    3. 4 pieces on one medium + Computers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dozzo 14

The 50%. So the first two pieces were vocal assessment with guitar accompaniment, but on the other hand could it be classified also as guitar assessment with vocal accompaniment? Then the third and fourth just guitar assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Dozzo 14 wrote: »
    The 50%. So the first two pieces were vocal assessment with guitar accompaniment, but on the other hand could it be classified also as guitar assessment with vocal accompaniment? Then the third and fourth just guitar assessment.

You know thats only half the length it should be? Or are you doing Technology?

You cannot class the vocal line as accompaniment-it is the melody.

With what you have there you would need to be assessed on guitar only for the four pieces 25% and either do technology or prep more pieces for the 25%. And even then you may need to get confirmation from the SEC in athlone that having two guitar pieces that are accompaniments is classed as the same medium as guitar solo

You cannot split the 4's into two's

Advertisement