Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilets

Options
  • 04-01-2014 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why, in old Dublin houses, there are 2 tiny toilet / shower rooms, sometimes in very close proximity to each other and frequently backing on to the kitchen?

It's bizarre, I understand why they're down stairs etc but why such tiny rooms replicated?

Thanks in advance for any insights :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They are near each other for ease of plumbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

do you mean having a separate WC to the shower/bathroom? I always assumed it was to accommodate larger families before the days of ensuites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I mean two toilets and possibly showers within a few feet of each other in rooms the size of a medium press.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe it was a medium press that got converted? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The family that sh*t's together stays together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

size of a medium press
    What is a medium press?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MouseTail wrote: »
    do you mean having a separate WC to the shower/bathroom? I always assumed it was to accommodate larger families before the days of ensuites, contraception

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Bepolite wrote: »
    I mean two toilets and possibly showers within a few feet of each other in rooms the size of a medium press.

You've adopted the use of "press"!

I suspect that they were later additions to the house as in the UK and were added on to the only part of the house which was connected to the water and waste systems (as in the UK). As to why there might be two of them, I have no idea.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You've adopted the use of "press"!

It's an old English word that's not used in contemporary English in the UK. My main reason for using it, other than pretending I'm Henry VIII, is because it's easier to spell than cupboard. :pac:

Example:

287266.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

A few walls need knocking there alright, no natural light in the living room either. I'd have a big living room/kitchen and convert the kitchen/bathroom to a bathroom. it has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Looks like they had staff or let out the back bedroom/ utility room and the toilet and shower was for that room

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Does anyone know why, in old Dublin houses, there are 2 tiny toilet / shower rooms, sometimes in very close proximity to each other and frequently backing on to the kitchen?

It's bizarre, I understand why they're down stairs etc but why such tiny rooms replicated?

Thanks in advance for any insights :)
    id assume the original one was in the garden, then later a second one was created of a kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Exactly, WC's were outdoors back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If that drawing is from an estate agent, I would be outraged that the room at the back is described as a "Bedroom / utility" and would report them to their professional organisation.

No only is it undersized, but it is also a severe fire hazard.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Victor wrote: »
    If that drawing is from an estate agent, I would be outraged that the room at the back is described as a "Bedroom / utility" and would report them to their professional organisation.

Apologies for side tracking thread but while it's Outrageous, I'm not surprised, are auctioneers ever reprimanded for misleading advertising?

BryanF wrote: »
    Apologies for side tracking thread but while it's Outrageous, I'm not surprised, are auctioneers ever reprimanded for misleading advertising?

I thought it was part of the job description! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Victor wrote: »

A bathroom off the kitchen is Also not allowed. But I believe if its pre 63 they can do what they want.

ted1 wrote: »
    A bathroom off the kitchen is Also not allowed. But I believe if its pre 63 they can do what they want.

I mentioned that the other day to someone. Apparently the legislation has been amended again due to accessibility legislation, you now only need one door again. How true that is of course is another story entirely.

Incidentally thats a house of Cork Street going for 130K

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I mentioned that the other day to someone. Apparently the legislation has been amended again due to accessibility legislation, you now only need one door again. How true that is of course is another story entirely.

Actually appears this is the case now:

"A room or space containing a water closet should
    be separated from a place used for the preparation or
    cooking of food by means of: -

(a) in the case of a building used solely as a
    dwelling, a door, and

(b) in any other case, a properly ventilated
    passage or lobby.
    "

From the technical guidance to the building regulations, rather than the actual regulations admittedly but its something fairly fundamental to get wrong in interpretation.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,27357,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

MYOB wrote: »
    Actually appears this is the case now:

"A room or space containing a water closet should
    be separated from a place used for the preparation or
    cooking of food by means of: -

(a) in the case of a building used solely as a
    dwelling, a door, and

(b) in any other case, a properly ventilated
    passage or lobby.
    "

From the technical guidance to the building regulations, rather than the actual regulations admittedly but its something fairly fundamental to get wrong in interpretation.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,27357,en.pdf
    Yeah changed years ago. I still don't get what the OP is talking about. Some old houses have funny bathroom arrangements but we are talking about a small portion of housing. The example shown looks like a house that was once rented out.
    If you are looking at old houses like that you are going to have to consider refurbishing the place and changing layout.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Yeah changed years ago. I still don't get what the OP is talking about. Some old houses have funny bathroom arrangements but we are talking about a small portion of housing. The example shown looks like a house that was once rented out.
    If you are looking at old houses like that you are going to have to consider refurbishing the place and changing layout.

Sorry I felt I did all I could with visual aids :D

Many houses sub 150K 2 beds in Dublin 7/8 (old housing) have odd layouts involving multiple toilets/shower rooms. I think the best explanation so far is that back in the day one of these was outside and has not subsumed into the building. I still down understand why one wouldn't, when building the extension, make this into one larger room, but perhaps renting/happening over time is the answer.

Apologizes if you're still confused, I hope the above clarifies.

Advertisement