Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going grey

Options
  • 03-01-2014 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

I've had grey hairs appearing on my head since my early 20s, I'm 32 now, and the grey is now winning the war! I thought I would go grey gracefully, but I think it looks a bit **** now, and I'm mulling getting some Just for Men. Any other guys in my position? What is your experience? Live and let dye?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Im going/gone pretty grey.

I will be 35 this year and have pitch black hair so its more noticeable.

Personally I love it, my girlfriend loves it and I regularly get compliments on it.

Id say leave it be man, the salt and pepper look is a winner with the ladies and I personally think it makes me more distinguished.

That is of course personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I have some grey hair, I'm one of the just let it be brigade.

I don't see anything wrong with guys dying their hair or wearing wigs, if it makes you feel better go for it.

That said, I often hear others saying that they like the salt and pepper look, so maybe that look would suit you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

My husband used to have pitch black hair in his younger days. He started to go grey in his early thirties.

He's now in his forties and his hair is a lovely shade of silver (the girl who cuts his hair admires the colour).

I think he looks very distinguished with silver hair.

So my advice would be not to dye your hair.

I get my own hair dyed, vain woman that I am. Believe me it's high maintenance to keep your hair dyed. I have to get my colour done every three weeks, as the grey hair starts to show.

If you do choose to dye your hair, I think you should go to a hairdresser. As you get older your skin tone changes and a professional hairdresser will advise you on the best colour for you. They can add two different colours to achieve a more natural look etc.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Started going grey mid twenties, been silver since my early forties, why hide it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Thanks so far, I'm leaning away from dying it now. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm in my late 20s and the gray is starting to sneak in.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to going gray. it looks awesome and adds to masculinity in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Embrace it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I find getting more regular haircuts helps. The shorter your hair, the less obvious the greyness.

I wouldn't dye my hair because it would be obvious. However, if you've for a big family event such as getting married, you could dye your hair for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Started going grey as a teenager. 40 now. Imagine how much cash I'd have wasted on magic insecurity head polish if I'd gone down the dying route.

Better grey than away! Embrace the silver foxiness!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Im 23, I have a couple of grey hairs, nobody says it to me, but if I'm looking in a mirror I notice it! I'm not overly bothered by it, and theres not a whole lot I can do to prevent it, so leave it be I say!

Judging by other people comments I can expect to be a nice silvery color within the next 10 years or so!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Do not dye your hair, a man with a dyed head can be spotted a mile away. People might not say it to your face but behind your back they will say "look at that eejit". Only dignified thing for a man to do is grow grey gracefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

boobar wrote: »
    I have some grey hair, I'm one of the just let it be brigade.

I don't see anything wrong with guys dying their hair or wearing wigs, if it makes you feel better go for it.

That said, I often hear others saying that they like the salt and pepper look, so maybe that look would suit you as well.
    That's fine until you end up with all salt and no pepper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Im 19 and been steadily going grey for 3 years. If i can embrace it so can everyone else :P

Im 19 and been steadily going grey for 3 years. If i can embrace it so can everyone else :P

Jesus. Since 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Jesus. Since 16?

That wasn't in the Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Jesus. Since 16?

15 really. Hadn't even done me junior cert. It did help me get served in pubs before any of my friends though :pac:

15 really. Hadn't even done me junior cert. It did help me get served in pubs before any of my friends though :pac:

Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Im going/gone pretty grey.

I will be 35 this year and have pitch black hair so its more noticeable.

Personally I love it, my girlfriend loves it and I regularly get compliments on it.

Id say leave it be man, the salt and pepper look is a winner with the ladies and I personally think it makes me more distinguished.

That is of course personal preference.

Are you me? :p

I'm a few years older than you and am going more noticeably grey in the last 2 years as well (also have black hair) but like yourself I think it makes me look more distinguished so happy to leave it as is.

It has receded a fair bit over the last few years which does worry me more - I know there are some guys who you couldn't imagine with hair, but I really don't think I could pull off the bald look :(

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

I'm a few years older than you and am going more noticeably grey in the last 2 years as well (also have black hair) but like yourself I think it makes me look more distinguished so happy to leave it as is.

It has receded a fair bit over the last few years which does worry me more - I know there are some guys who you couldn't imagine with hair, but I really don't think I could pull off the bald look :(

Mine has receded a little bit too. I think that's normal. No one in my family is bald, my dad is 72 and still has fairly decent (white) hair. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Been turning into Gandalf, hair by hair, since my late twenties; it's quite noticeable on either side of my temples and I think it looks ok. Can't be bothered bottling my hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

54 and grey/brown hair nearly down to my waist. Women still ask me if I'm in Iron Maiden. No complaints here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

No receding hair line here anyway, a barber I used to go to referred to me as a lifer, my hair is ridiculously thick, same as my oul lad and all 3 of my mums brothers have whopper heads of hair too so I dont reckon baldness will be a concern for me!

Advertisement