Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 12 month - extra work on side

Options
  • 03-01-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone knows about doing bar/restaraunt work to subsidize their 12 month J1. I'm in the US at the moment and have only been offered unpaid internships... I'm definitely going to be needing to do extra work on the side. I know the guidelines say this is strictly forbidden, but I'm desperate at this stage.

I know the easiest/less risky thing would be to work 'under the table' but I can't seem to come across any places that offer that. I would just use my visa and social security... is there risk of me getting caught? Now or in the future?

Would really appreciate anyones opinions/experience!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

You can only have one job at a time which is related to your degree. Bar work and restaurant jobs are a no no for your visa. Your social security number is linked to everything you do in the USA, you maybe lucky and maybe not, its a decision you have to make for yourself. what your asking is illegal so people won't be able to advise you on how to get around it on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AnnaBooBoo

Hey mil123 crazy I posted the exact same, almost, post last summer while on my 12 month graduate work visa. My post was actually removed less than 10 minutes due to me ' talking about doing something illegal' but I had the same trouble as you I was so stressed for so long but I managed to last over there and now hopefully Im going to enter the green card lottery.

Where in america are you based right now? Have you been out there long? I think for future reference there would be bad consequences if you were to have bar/restaraunt experience through your social sec number because as everyone knows Dep of homeland sec look into everything from your past and if they put together that you had a graduate visa but worked in a pub then you would have trouble :(

I was in New York and had no idea how hard it was to find one paid intership out of like every 400!!! ridiculous :( I wish I had some better news but its hard, I hope you get something :( try contacting the irish embassys near you if there are some :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AnnaBooBoo

Mill I actually think I remember speaking to you on here last summer :( Im sorry I never stayed in contact I kept losing my log in details to here then got busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JamesSligo1982

hey Anna,

How long did it take you to get something that suited your visa and was it what you wanted? Just curious as I am in New York at moment and finding it hard to get into the area I want.

Also mil123 what area are you looking to get into? Are there any Irish centers near you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

Hi,

I am currently on a 12 month intern work visa and i know theres a minimum of 32 hours per week but does anyone know what the maximum hours you can work is? CIEE does not seem to have any information on their website about it. My current employer wants to know so that everything is legal but I can't find an answer any where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Hi Ewa,

I just put 40+ on my DS 7002 and they were OK with that. It was the IIC in Boston though, who I am with. Don't know other than that.

James

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Ewa24 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently on a 12 month intern work visa and i know theres a minimum of 32 hours per week but does anyone know what the maximum hours you can work is? CIEE does not seem to have any information on their website about it. My current employer wants to know so that everything is legal but I can't find an answer any where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I don't know for sure but I've never heard of one and I would not expect there is one. Now that being said if my employer asked me what the maximum number of hours I could work was I'd almost certainly be taking advantage ;)

Advertisement