Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Seamus Heaney's poetry have an 'ethical depth'?

Options
  • 03-01-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm supposed to write an essay on his poetry and this must be the basis of it but I simply don't understand it. Any insight into it would be very appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Is that the entire question? It's a tough one! If I remember correctly, the 'ethical depth' comment came about when he was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature.
    If I was answering that question I would probably focus on the morality evident in his poetry, and the obvious fascination he had with religion and spirituality.
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ratnas

No, the full question is about how the 'ethical depth' that his poetry possesses brings out the miracle of the ordinary day and the living past. You're right, it did come from the citation for his Nobel Prize. I've something along the lines of what you said but I'm still struggling. My teacher's convinced that if Heaney comes up it'll be an impossible question like this one so that's why she gave it to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 maedhbh_mac

I think the whole quote praises him "for works of lyrical beauty and ethical depth, which exalt everyday miracles and the living past". You'd be better off focusing more on the other three aspects because "ethical depth" is a very loose term. So redirect towards the second half of the quote, how he glorifies ubiquitous experiences and the rich history that he explores - through lyrically beautiful language, symbols and imagery. Much easier to answer from that angle if you're allowed to and both "everyday miracles" and "the living past" would be two of the classic themes in Heaney's work on the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

The Tollund Man would work very well with the question of ethical depth, if you've done it. It's about the Troubles in N.I. and how killing and bloodshed has led to nothing.

Or possibly A Constable Calls to a lesser extent deals with the distrust between Catholics and the Protestant Constabulary. Heaney as a child is afraid because his father has lied to the Constable. You could say from this he had ethical depth from a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ratnas

Thanks for all your help :) My essay's done now so we'll see how it turned out after my teacher corrects it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement