Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Whiskey as a Present?

Options
  • 03-01-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I've got €70 to spend on a bottle of whiskey for a friend as a birthday present. Anyone have any suggestions?

He likes both Irish and Scotch, but wouldn't be a fan of anything too peaty - I know he doesn't appreciate Connemara and when I gave him a taste of my Laphroaig 10yr, he wasn't bowled away.

Apart from that, I'm not too sure of his tastes. I know he loves his bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue, but who wouldn't like that whiskey... I just wish I could afford a bottle of that for myself.

Also, where is a good place to buy whiskey in Dublin (I normally buy mine when I'm abroad)? I've heard the Celtic Whiskey Shop praised, but IMO it's a bit over-priced. I have to buy it today, so somewhere quite accessible would be best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For that money, I'd highly recommend Power's John Lane Single Pot Still.
    Any decent offie will have it.
    I really don't think CWS are dearer than anywhere else in Ireland for premium whiskeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pauliemck

I've never tried that one. Might pick up a bottle for him. I might be lucky enough to get a glass or two. ;-)

Just had a look at the CWS website there and it seems you're right regarding the prices. I must have gone into them after being on holidays before, so it's no wonder I thought they were expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Redbreast 12. €59 in The Celtic Whiskey Shop. Bought it as a gift for Christmas and it went down a treat and was really enjoyed. ;) Quality Whiskey and will get numerous recommendations from posters here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I saw Redbreast in Dunnes Stores yesterday at 50.

It did not seem to be a reduced or special price.

It's 57 in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pauliemck

Great. Thanks for that. Will pop into Dunnes to see if they still have it at that price, and if not, I'll head into the CWS and grab the Powers John's Lane. Thanks for all the info guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Would highly recommend John's Lane as well.
    Also (but a bit outside your spend range) is Redbreast 12Year Old Cask Strength - treated myself to a bottle for christmas and between myself and son only a glass or two left....
    CWS also have a 14year old Tyrconnell exclusive to them - not sure if they have any left.

WW

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

For that money, I'd highly recommend Power's John Lane Single Pot Still.
    Any decent offie will have it.
    I really don't think CWS are dearer than anywhere else in Ireland for premium whiskeys.

This is a really good whiskey, I gave a bottle to my French father in law last Christmas and it went down a treat.

Redbreast is also a lovely dram and would be a great bottle to give as well.

Advertisement