Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Hawaii 2014

Options
  • 03-01-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Aloha guys,

I was in New York on a J1 last summer but this summer me and my friend have decided to go to Hawaii. USIT say there should be little trouble getting jobs and accom sorted but we'd love to hear from anyone who's been there and knows what its like job wise and stuff :)

We haven't decided what island yet, most likely Oahu, but hopefully we can get jobs in a resort someplace.

Were planning on flying on the 23rd of May, hopefully with a week layover in NY, depending on whats cheapest.

Let me know if anyone else is heading out there too and is looking for accommodation!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BridIde21

Hi there :)

Me and another girl are planning on heading to Waikiki, Honolulu from what I've heard it has the best nightlife. I'm 21 and she'll be 23. Were heading around 28th May. Were on the same boat as yourself and would love information off people that have been there! We'd be interested in sharing accommodation as it would probably work out cheaper!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

it will be hard to get work there

as its only a small island

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/search/jjj?addFour=part-time

accomadation and food prices are high

because of tracle spill shark attacks have gone up which will hurt tourism

http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/2022693233_hawaiisharksxml.html

• Registered Users Posts: 36 desperate housewife

I was on j1 in hawaii three years ago. We were in maui. It was absolutely amazing. A bit different to other j1 destinations because there weren't thousands of j1 students there like other destinations

Oahu is the busiest island and honolulu is a big city. There were lots of j1 people there. There's lots of nightclubs etc but it is very commercial, a bit of a Santa ponsa in the sun. I wouldn't go there because I feel you could just go to Spain for the summer and have the same experience, without the long flights and cost. But if that's the trip you are after then go for it

I loved maui, it is so beautiful and so much to do there. I went with one friend and we got jobs within a few days. We had a gorgeous apartment, with a pool in our complex, right beside the beach. We met lots of j1 people and moved in with some of them after a month.

It's an expensive place to live but so worth it. We were paid a lot. Rent was expensive but manageable, in the end there was loads of us living together to save money on rent, great craic though. It was cheaper to eat out than buy food in the supermarket. So much to do there, we went on trips all the time and they were fab.

I'd highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I went to Hawaii a few years ago with a group of friends on a J1, it truly was the trip of a lifetime!

We stayed in Waikiki, Oahu for the three months. The flights were expensive enough but we found a cheaper way of doing it, we did a stop over in New York (booked with Go4Less) and stayed there for a week and then we booked our own US internal flights form New York to Hawaii which saved us a good bit.

Oahu is the big tourist sport in Hawaii, it has it all, beaches, boutique shopping and a busy nightlife. We stayed in the Waikiki Beachside Hostel until we got ourselves sorted with an apartment, I can't rate the place highly enough. The staff were very friendly, air-conditoned rooms with cooking facilities and a fridge, the rooms were cleaned daily and there was a continental breakfast each day, all for just $18 P/N which was fantastic. After about a week there we ended up renting an apartment literally 1 minute from the hostel, it was close to everything, the beach was a two minute walk and a five minute walk to the main nightclub strip.

With regards to jobs, most of us had saved enough money before going over to last the summer without really working so we weren't overly pushed looking for jobs. A few of us got working in an Abercrombie & Fitch store and one of the others got working in a landscaping company. The girls had a harder time looking for waitressing and bar work, they handed in CV's pretty much everywhere with no return. It seemed like arriving in June was a bit too late for that type of work.

There is so much to do and see in Oahu, beaches, Diamond Head Crater, Pearl Harbor, the North Shore (where TV series LOST was filmed) and water-parks to name a few. The nightlife is excellent, lots of clubs and great drinks promos, if you're under 21 they are extremely strict on no alcohol, they mark your hands with an 'X' upon entering and in some cases took passports until you were leaving. The clubs stay open till 4am mostly but it has the same routine has here, the busiest times are between 12am and 2:30am and it got pretty quiet after that some nights.

What can I say about the weather, a beautiful 26-29 degrees pretty much every day with blue skies. The water temperature in the ocean was warm and lovely to surf and swim in.

Overall I couldn't recommend Hawaii enough, it was amazing. Rent cars and scooters and you can see the whole island easily. Truly the trip of a lifetime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Smurfs77

Hi guys.

Myself and my friend are heading to Hawaii on our J1.

Probably try rent in Waikikki but are open to all suggestions.

Securing accommodation for the three months was difficult according to lads that went last year.

We would love to join up with a few more J1ers and get a place there.

Try organise it before we head over.

Any advice or recommendations much appreciated! :)

We are both female students in NUIG and cannot wait for the adventure of a lifetime!

It's handy enough sign up here and leave a reply so please do.

Also any previous J1ers with contacts for jobs would be really appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 harrietwalsh92

Hey there, I'm heading over to Oahu with my boyfriend on June 1st, looking for accommodation in a central enough location too! We're in a bit of a tricky situation cos we don't leave 'til September 15th so we need a 4 month lease, rent seems to go up hugely when you're looking for a 3/4 month lease! If anyone has any suggestions they'd be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Louise cc

Hey :)
    Im heading to Hawaii this summer and possibly have a friend joining me :) Ive been talking to people who have been to Hawaii, more specifically Waikiki and they had an absolute blast!! Im taking their advice hoping to stay in Waikiki but would love to join up with a few people!
    If anyone is looking for housemates let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sineadabc

Hey
    Myself and my friend (2 girls) are heading over to hawaii at the end of may :) Was wondering if anybody wanted to share a place as it could work out cheaper, as it is meant to be very expensive to live over there.

Advertisement