Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Relief for disabled passengers.

Options
  • 03-01-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Some advice please? My wife has recently had her left leg amputated and she is awaiting her permanent medical certification.

We purchased a Ford focus estate a few yrs back and the wheelchair fits easily into this but we'd like to avail of the tax reliefs on motor tax and excise duty on fuel. Purchasing a new vehicle is not in our budget.

Can the ford focus be registered under the scheme or does it have to be somehow adapted. Can you give me some ideas on what adaptations would be suitable?

Citizens Advice say.... If you bought the vehicle before you qualified as a disabled person, a repayment of VAT and VRT, appropriate to the market value of the vehicle at the time of entry to the scheme, will be made.
    The pre-tax cost of adapting the vehicle must amount to at least 10% of its pre-tax cost...

How can I find out how much must be spent on the adaptation?

Thanks for your help?

Nippy 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi,check
    https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1
    and calculate the VRT on your car. Get the primary medical cert, decide on what adaptations are necessary for your wife and get a quotation for same. You'll thenhave the info to approach Revenue about a VRT rebate. Hope this helps.

Ephraim

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I am not up to date with changes that have probably been made to the scheme, but .....

the primary medical cert is the main item to get ..... everything else is dependent on it.

adaptations which might be helpful would be a lift in the rear of the vehicle to help put the wheelchair in and take it out, without physical strain.
    Another could be an adaptation to the car seat ...... such as converting the passenger seat to swivel, or elongating the seat runners to allow the passenger move further back from the 'A' pillar before exiting the vehicle.

Most good adaptation fitters will be able to advise ...... but be aware that they too have their preferences ..... and they also will (or should) know whether a particular vehicle is suitable for a specific adaptation or not.

Get out and do your homework before committing to anything and consider the options proposed.

The current list of approved adaptation workshops .....

http://www.nsai.ie/NSAI/files/b4/b464472a-8f32-46d8-be33-78f7a4286e75.pdf

Advertisement