Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witness Statements from War of Independence

Options
  • 03-01-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

I was reading through some witness statements on the military bureau site (http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/bmhsearch/search.jsp).

I noticed that the statements taken in my area are all from people who subsequently opposed the treaty and voted for FF all their lives afterwards. Furthermore, when they list the people who participated in ambushes with them, it seems to be all Fianna Fail people, and no Fine Gael people.

So my questions are:

1) When were these statements collected?

2) Was there bias towards Fianna Fail participants (maybe because FF were in government at the time?) Or is it just the coincidental that in the statements I read, that FF participants were acknowledged while the others who participated were "forgotten"?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Quite the opposite in my case; a relative of mine who wrote his account was a strong supporter of the Treaty and his subsequent career reflected this.

It actually says somewhere on the site (I forget where) that Treaty opponents were more reluctant to come forward with their recollections and were somewhat suspicious of the whole project.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

My Grandfather's statement is dated 21 September 1951 - the statement is signed, dated and witnessed

Advertisement