Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EXTENDING WIFI/ NO WIFI FOR PS3

Options
  • 02-01-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hey, I just moved my ps3 up to my room and I can't sign in to the psn network, also my internet works but it is not strong enough for the ps3 but i can do some casual web surfing. Would anyone know how i can boost the strength of the wifi??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

MW2FAN wrote: »
    Hey, I just moved my ps3 up to my room and I can't sign in to the psn network, also my internet works but it is not strong enough for the ps3 but i can do some casual web surfing. Would anyone know how i can boost the strength of the wifi??

I saw a WiFi range extender in Harvey Normans about a month ago think it was about €60 . you probably can get them elsewhere but I'd say they only go up in price from there.

Also if you have slow internet to begin with its not really gonna make a lot of difference. You would just be getting a better WiFi signal from the slow internet provider. If that makes sense.

You could try accessing your router through 192.168.1 and change the channel your router is set to as sometimes other devices around the home can interfere.

Failing that just go with a better provider.

Hope that helps if even a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the best product if you have bad wifi for a console is a regular power line extender. it uses the electrical wiring in your house to get internet to any room. so its basically the same as running a long cable from your router to your ps3

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/internet-extenders/d-link-av500-mini-powerline-kit-dhp-309av-b.html

these are a pretty good price, they are 500mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭MW2FAN

I saw a WiFi range extender in Harvey Normans about a month ago think it was about €60 . you probably can get them elsewhere but I'd say they only go up in price from there.

Also if you have slow internet to begin with its not really gonna make a lot of difference. You would just be getting a better WiFi signal from the slow internet provider. If that makes sense.

You could try accessing your router through 192.168.1 and change the channel your router is set to as sometimes other devices around the home can interfere.

Failing that just go with a better provider.

Hope that helps if even a little.[/QUOTE

my provider is UPC so it's pretty good and I feel No need to upgrade. Also I'm not very techs when it comes to like changing codes and stuff so I wouldn't have a clue on that.

big_moe wrote: »
    the best product if you have bad wifi for a console is a regular power line extender. it uses the electrical wiring in your house to get internet to any room. so its basically the same as running a long cable from your router to your ps3

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/internet-extenders/d-link-av500-mini-powerline-kit-dhp-309av-b.html

these are a pretty good price, they are 500mbps

My ps3 is in my room and my router downstairs so I don't think that'd would work. Unless there's another fix which I'm unaware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

MW2FAN wrote: »
    My ps3 is in my room and my router downstairs so I don't think that'd would work. Unless there's another fix which I'm unaware of.

course it would work, you plug one into a socket next to your router and the other in a socket next to your ps3.run an ethernet from each into both ps3 and router. it uses the all ready electrical wiring in your house to run the data. better than wifi.

• Advertisement

hallo dare wrote: »
    course it would work, you plug one into a socket next to your router and the other in a socket next to your ps3.run an ethernet from each into both ps3 and router. it uses the all ready electrical wiring in your house to run the data. better than wifi.

Thanks I'll look into it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Second the powerline - been using one for a while - speed check shows much better speeds than wireless. Just be cautious of surge protectors - they have been known to interfere but so far with mine its been ok.

Fixed it! Turned out was connected to my wifi out in Leitrim somehow. Change it back to my current one and bobs your uncle Mary's your aunt

Advertisement