Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimplex XMC724N storage heater reset button

Options
  • 02-01-2014 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

I have the above mentioned storage heater but it is not working. There is power going into it (I have the front panel off and tested with a phase tester)

I have found on the 'net that there is a reset button or similar but I cannot find it. Anyone any ideas as to where it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

up the top where the controls are usually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Just under the input and output controls there is some workings but I can't identify any reset button / tab to close or press.

There is a metal guard just in from of the workings so it can be difficult to identify any small item.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 John Electrician

Its behind the metal guard - when u press down reset switch it will make a 'click' sound.

Its behind the metal guard - when u press down reset switch it will make a 'click' sound.
    Many thanks, John.

I had another look having seen your post and then discovered that the metal guard actually swivels out and to the left. That then gives the opportunity to see a very small metal tab which i pushed and heard a click. Hope this was it but will have to wait until midnight to try it, when the night power comes on.

Thanks again for making me investigate more.

I will advise if this worked, tomorrow.

Thanks, John. That little tab got the storage heater working. It should be coloured red or something to distinguish it easily. Also, it is not mentioned in anywhere the Dimplex manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

it's on the schematic in the user manual

so you know it's fitted

but it wouldn't be considered user maintenance..hence no instructions

it's on the schematic

so you know it's fitted
    It says "Thermostat and cutout" - but there is no indication as to what it looks like or where it is exactly.

As this can be in some instances, a switch that is used sometimes relatively frequently (according to one poster on one forum, not boards.ie) there are a lot of people who have trouble in finding the switch - not only on this model and not only Dimplex.

It would seem to me that such a switch should be more recognisable by the general public, i.e. the user or home owner, instead of having to call out an electrician just to flick a switch. The cost of a call out to do that simple job like that IMHO is stupid, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

I have attached a picture of the switch as I had the problem of the heater not working. It's hard to see but if you follow the front connection there is a silver tab sticking up in the air. If I press this down the connection is made. Is this the trip cut off? Is there something missing to keep this tab down and the connections made.

Thx

PadraigL wrote: »
    I have attached a picture of the switch as I had the problem of the heater not working. It's hard to see but if you follow the front connection there is a silver tab sticking up in the air. If I press this down the connection is made. Is this the trip cut off? Is there something missing to keep this tab down and the connections made.

Thx
    Thanks, Padraig, but I did solve the problem. Firstly, I didn't realize that the metal cover swivelled outwards. Having then been able to see behind the cover, I spotted the little metal tab and pushed it down. There was a click and when the storage power came on, everything worked.

I would have thought that at least Dimplex could have painted the tab red so that it could not be missed. Not very used friendly. The manual could also have pointed out that the cover swivels.

Anyway, I have noe didcontinued with the Dimplex storage heaters and I am using infrared heating panels - 3 and a half kilowatts to heat the whole apartment, thermostat controlled, instead of 6.3 kilowartts of storage heaters, and a 1 kw fan heater in the bathroom plus a wall mounted convector heater in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 motero

odds_on wrote: »
    Thanks, Padraig, but I did solve the problem. Firstly, I didn't realize that the metal cover swivelled outwards. Having then been able to see behind the cover, I spotted the little metal tab and pushed it down. There was a click and when the storage power came on, everything worked.

I would have thought that at least Dimplex could have painted the tab red so that it could not be missed. Not very used friendly. The manual could also have pointed out that the cover swivels.

Anyway, I have noe didcontinued with the Dimplex storage heaters and I am using infrared heating panels - 3 and a half kilowatts to heat the whole apartment, thermostat controlled, instead of 6.3 kilowartts of storage heaters, and a 1 kw fan heater in the bathroom plus a wall mounted convector heater in the hall.

how are you getting on with those panels?? i got one, ok better control than storage, i can set timer to come on when i want,7 days a week, but i find the heat from them is not up to much, unless i rtun it for quiet a few hours,
    what did you go for? sunnyheat?helvetic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ciaraBb

Hi all,

I’m having problems with finding the reset button on my storage heatrr. I have moved the metal guard to the left but I don’t know which is the reset button.

could you check the photo and let me know which it is? Thanks a lot for your help.

the instant heat is working but not the storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

make sure power is off

Press this metal tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

That's your control stat on right, limit stat on left

Think is just the tag that's sticking up on the left if memory serves

You'll hear it click anyhow don't put on too much pressure

Advertisement