Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Answering an English question.

Options
  • 02-01-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey could anyone help me or give advice on how to answer / structure a question in English paper 2 like poetry, the single text and the comparative. I am clueless and I know the material but it's the structure and literally what information to include that is bringing me down to a C1 grade :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

I'm sure your teacher tells you this all the time but the most important thing in answering a question is actually answering the question.
    Don't waffle about irrelevant stuff, make sure everything you write refers back to the question and make it relevant, can't emphasize that enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 forevergold22

Thank you :) for the single text can a question come up on minor characters, themes, imagery etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Make sure to give your opinion as well - that's what will make your paper stand out. Any examiner can Google a summary of a poem or text but they can't Google your opinion!

Oh yes good point thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

When I approach a question, it generally takes this format:

Paragraph 1:
    Comment on the question e.g. "It is an undeniable fact that abuse of power is a central theme in Sive...". Next, outline the main points you will discuss in your answer.

Paragraphs 2-6:
    Open every paragraph by outlining a key point and how it links to the question. e.g. "The way Mena treats Sive is an excellent example of people in authority abusing power in this drama..."

Immediately back up this point with a quote or reference where possible.

Finally spend 5-10 lines expanding this point and explaining how it is relevant, how the author uses it etc. Finish up by once again referencing the question.

This is known as the Point/Quote/Explain method and it is an excellent way to get marks if you stick to it.

Final Paragraph:
    Again rewrite your initial comment ("I strongly agree/This is shown time and time again" etc.). Try to relate your experience of the piece to the question. Finish on a strong sentence, leaving the author in no doubt of your opinion/understanding of the text.

This is just my technique and my teacher assures us that it works! :)

• Advertisement

Thank you soo much :D you are a hero :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

For poetry pretend you really enjoyed reading the work of the poet you are writing about.
    Use strong adjectives to show this e.g. "Emily Dickinson's quirky, enigmatic (mysterious) poetry"
    or "Elizabeth Bishop was a master of description..."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 EliteC

For poetry the following format always works for me regardless of what question you're asked.
    Example:
    "Emily Dickinson style in her work makes her poetry unique and interesting." Discuss.
    "The poetry of Dickinson examines serious themes in an ambiguous nature." Discuss.

Both can be answeres by the three T's (TTT) - Theme, Technique, Thoughts

Write a brief note of the theme in each poem highlighting their uniqueness.
    State and explain the techniques used by DIckinson and how they affect the poem and add to it's uniqueness. i.e. the dash -
    Finally write what you thought of the poem or how you interpreted it. Don't be afriad to critise an aspect of the poem if you feel you have a strong argument or feel, for example, you wanted an answer not a dash e.t.c.

This formula can be adapted to all poets and preparation of each poem beforehand is vital.

Here's an example using her poem "I heard a Fly buzz - when I died"

One of DIckinson's most unique and thought-provoking poems is 'I heard a Fly buzz.' The poem reflects Dickinson's deep interest in death. Few poet's have dealt with this all engrossing subject with such perfect control. She creates a very somber mood in this poem. Typical of Dickinson her style is epigrammical. Her use of the dash is interesting. Firstly it is used in the opening line to add dramatic effect as we await a response to her statement 'I heard a Fly buzz -.' They are also used to isolate '-and me-'. It gives us the impression that she feels alone as she awaits to be taken by 'the King.' She says 'I heard.... I willed.... when I died... '. This gices us the indication she has experienced or has anticipated this experience. Perhaps DIckinson is telling us that all that is certain in this world is disorder and disruption. There's a certain tease in the poem. I expected to find some pearl of wisdom in this poem at the end. I was rather disappointed that all I got was a dash! It is somewhat frustrating that a pesky fly has ruined it all. Truly no one attempts like Dickinson to examine and define human nature in such a unique fashion!

Each T is a different colour

Hope this helps

That's amazing thank you so much! I think I'm really getting the hang of it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

hijacking this thread because my query is sort of relevant, but is better to answer a poetry question poem by poem or by theme? I've always done poem by poem but I heard the other day that you should do them theme by theme. I'm a bit worried because I want a high mark in English!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 EliteC

Poem by Poem is the easiest and most structured way to answer.

Advertisement