Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water obliged to correct poor water pressure?

Options
  • 02-01-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm living in a house with dreadful water pressure. Given that we all will be soon paying for this as a service/utility, will Irish Water be responsible for issues like poor water pressure?

Jon

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm living in a house with dreadful water pressure. Given that we all will be soon paying for this as a service/utility, will Irish Water be responsible for issues like poor water pressure?

Jon

Apparently you will have to diagnose the issue and tell them what it is, and they will remedy any issues, external to the property. Any issues internal to the property- are yours to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Didn't they also say that they wint cut people off if they dont pay their bills, but would lower the water pressure to make it impossible to run a bath for example? Some people have pumps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

This will be interesting to follow up. My parents live on top of a hill and regularly lose pressure (or water altogether) during the summer if its particularly dry for a period of time. Maybe now, after 20 odd years, they will finally be able to get this sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

goz83 wrote: »
    Didn't they also say that they wint cut people off if they dont pay their bills, but would lower the water pressure to make it impossible to run a bath for example? Some people have pumps ;)

Really? so they will throttle the water supply? interesting. We have a pump for the shower put it's just about ok. I would expect issues like this to be resolved if I'm paying for the service. How they expect me to diagnose the problem I don't know... I guess the plumbers are going to be happy with all the pending work coming their way!

Apparently you will have to diagnose the issue and tell them what it is, and they will remedy any issues, external to the property. Any issues internal to the property- are yours to fix.

So you need the root cause to these questions?

"Why is my water pressure is low"
    "My bills are excessively high for my usage, why?"
    " I was on holidays for 2 weeks yet my water bill is still as high, why?"...etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I suffered horrific water pressure problems for years. This whole street was not on a mains, but on a leaky old copper pipe that was laid 150 years ago. After 6 weeks without a drop of water in the house last year, the council finally laid a mains for me.

I was told that they were avoiding replacing any pipes because that would eventually fall under Irish Water's remit (and indeed they are finally laying new pipes around here now), but also that the issues would have to be sorted as much as possible nationwide before the introduction of watermetering. That will only apply up to your property line though. If any leak is internal to your property then you'll still be responsible for finding and fixing it. The water meter will count the water going in from it, not what reaches your kitchen tap.

So if everyone in the area has issues OP, you are probably going to end up with a much better service. If you are the only one with pressure issues though, you could be spending a lot of time and money looking for a leak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,332 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that Irish Water is no magic solution. Yes, they are going to create a system that will hopefully be more proactive and transparent / accountable, but on a day to day basis, it will be the same people doing the work.

The best way to get something fixed is to talk to the person who can fix it. So get talking to the area engineer at the council.

It may be useful to fit a ground level tank with a pump that can run at night to fill the attic tank.

People living on hills will rarely get good water pressure and it is somewhat their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,423 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Victor wrote: »
    Realise that Irish Water is no magic solution. Yes, they are going to create a system that will hopefully be more proactive and transparent / accountable, but on a day to day basis, it will be the same people doing the work.

The best way to get something fixed is to talk to the person who can fix it. So get talking to the area engineer at the council.

It may be useful to fit a ground level tank with a pump that can run at night to fill the attic tank.

People living on hills will rarely get good water pressure and it is somewhat their own fault.

A rain water harvesting tank should be fitted at the same time or even instead, depending on the depend

Advertisement