Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop windows problem :(

Options
  • 02-01-2014 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Hard drive failed in my Sony vaio,so I left it to a friend who installed a new harddrive in it,but it's a non genuine windows 7 on it now.
    Why can't I have my original windows 7 on my new harddrive?,he said the old harddrive had failed and was non readable which was why he put a non genuine windows 7 on it.

is there anyway I can get a genuine windows 7 back on it without having to pay buy a new windows cd?.
    Why did the stop giving out the windows cd,s ?,would be really handy now in this situation for reinstalling it on a new harddrive.

Any help please??.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

bassy wrote: »
    Hard drive failed in my Sony vaio,so I left it to a friend who installed a new harddrive in it,but it's a non genuine windows 7 on it now.
    Why can't I have my original windows 7 on my new harddrive?,he said the old harddrive had failed and was non readable which was why he put a non genuine windows 7 on it.

is there anyway I can get a genuine windows 7 back on it without having to pay buy a new windows cd?.
    Why did the stop giving out the windows cd,s ?,would be really handy now in this situation for reinstalling it on a new harddrive.
    k
    Any help please??.

If you didn't get a cd with the laptop then the license key should be on a sticker on the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

mordeith wrote: »
    If you didn't get a cd with the laptop then the license key should be on a sticker on the bottom.

Yes the license key is on the bottom of laptop,can I download windows 7 and enter the key making it genuine,where can I download it from and what's the best way or method to putting it on my laptop.
    Burn it to DVD or use a external hdd ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

This should work, allowing you to change it to your legitimate key

1) Click the Start button
    2) Right-click Computer
    3) Select Properties
    4) Scroll down window and click 'Change Product Key'

Or you could ring sony and ask if they can provide you with a recovery dvd (or link to ISO) but I have a feeling that would be chargeable.

phill106 wrote: »
    This should work, allowing you to change it to your legitimate key

1) Click the Start button
    2) Right-click Computer
    3) Select Properties
    4) Scroll down window and click 'Change Product Key'

Or you could ring sony and ask if they can provide you with a recovery dvd (or link to ISO) but I have a feeling that would be chargeable.

Is there no links to downloadable iso on Sony or Microsoft sites?.
    really is stupid I never made recovery disc,s.but it's also pretty stupid that that the os CDs don't come with new machines anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

bassy wrote: »
    Yes the license key is on the bottom of laptop,can I download windows 7 and enter the key making it genuine,where can I download it from and what's the best way or method to putting it on my laptop.
    Burn it to DVD or use a external hdd ?.

If you can find someone with a genuine Widnows 7 disc you could resintall using that and register using your own license key. (You could with XP anyhow, I assume it's the same with 7)
    How did your friend do the install?

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    If you can find someone with a genuine Widnows 7 disc you could resintall using that and register using your own license key. (You could with XP anyhow, I assume it's the same with 7)
    How did your friend do the install?

Not sure how he done it,but he put on windows 7 ultimate and is pirated.
    My windows 7 was home edition,so I'm sure it's the home edition I need to use to make it genuine with my key at bottom of laptop.

Advertisement