Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall plate: twin satellite + UHF + FM/DAB: pros and cons of combine/split

Options
  • 02-01-2014 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello,

Could anyone make recommendations for connecting a TV+ twin Sats set up to a wall socket? Not as trivial as I thought.

My set up will consist of a UHF aerial and a satellite with two twin LNBs (for 28.2E and 19.2E) to a single receiver (vu+ solo2). So I expect 3 cables as “input” to the wall plate (1 UHF and 2 x Sats). I looked for wall plates where I would connect each cable directly to its own socket (so x1 Coax and x2 F connectors) but only came across plates for triplexed / quadplexed signals, e.g., Antiference SW750 / MW750 or Triax Quad/304109. These plates seem to require first combining all signals and feeding them through a single cable. Then typically these plates take two inputs: the first feed is split as UHF + Sat + DAB/FM while the second is the untouched Sat feed.

Questions are:

• What are the pros and cons of combining and then splitting signals in such a way? Is the resulting signal degradation “noticeable"?
    • Do the type of plates I was looking for actually exist (three inputs and three outputs)?
    • My set up will resemble that of a typical Sky+ set up (I think?), with two identical satellite feeds using their own cable (and a separate UHF cable). So should I use one the plates described as “designed for use on Sky+”, such as the Triax Sat II (304114) instead?

Any advice will be welcome.

Many thanks,
    Mr_D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mr_D

Hello hju6,

Thanks for the pointer, this is exactly what I was looking for :)

Just in case you happen to know... is the signal degradation "noticeable" with the combining/splitting approach (still considering the option of using the one cable installed when the house was built, rather than drilling holes to get new cables in)?

Many thanks,
    Mr_D

Mr_D wrote: »
    Hello hju6,

Thanks for the pointer, this is exactly what I was looking for :)

Just in case you happen to know... is the signal degradation "noticeable" with the combining/splitting approach (still considering the option of using the one cable installed when the house was built, rather than drilling holes to get new cables in)?

Many thanks,
    Mr_D

That would be dependant on a few factors, ie, the quality and strength of the signals from the dish and aerial, the type of cable used when the house was built, lenght of cable, etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

There shouldn't be any issues combining DTT and Satellite onto one cable and any losses should be negligible as they cover different frequency ranges.

However, you cannot easily combine two satellite feeds onto the one cable unless you use a considerably more expensive stacker/destacker unit. The losses associated with this can be considerable, especially if the existing cable is poor or joined.

It's generally much better to instead run separate cables for each satellite feed.

Apogee wrote: »

However, you cannot easily combine two satellite feeds onto the one cable unless you use a considerably more expensive stacker/destacker unit.

That is if the feeds are from the same satellite,
    2 different satellites can be easily combined using a low cost Diseqc switch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Agree with hju6, I think you should use a Diseqc switch and then use one of these:

http://www.satworld.ie/tv-sat-diplexed-wall-plate-screened.html

it is of better and stronger quality and makes a neat finish.

You can get them much cheaper on ebay or Amazon though. I think I picked up four of them for €12 before and that included the backing plate for it too (which is basically the same as a wall socket backing plate).

Regards

P.S. Sorry I do not know the correct term for this 'backing plate' I mention.

Pattress, or pattress box,

hju6 wrote: »
    That is if the feeds are from the same satellite,
    2 different satellites can be easily combined using a low cost Diseqc switch

You're right, of course, but he does mention that he has "two twin LNBs" with a twin tuner receiver (vu+ solo2) which makes me think that he still wants two separate feeds and two diseqc switches (into which outputs from both 28E and 19E goes into each diseqc switch). That provides full flexibility in terms of recording from 28E and watch 19E (or 28E) and vice versa.

Perhaps Mr D can clarify this?

Hi,

Thanks for all the info and advice. Quite new to the satellite world (ditching Sky after 7 years!) so a lot to learn.

As I explained on a different thread, all feeds will be sent to a single receiver. Plan is to be able to watch one channel while recording another one (without restrictions - so Apogee was guessing right). My understanding is that this requires the use of a twin LNB so that two independent feeds would be connected to the receiver's dual tuner. But maybe this is not correct? So with 2 satellites, this would necessitate 2 twin LNBs, and then I could use 2 DiseqC to combine Sat A1 with Sat B1 on the first DiseqC and Sat A2 with Sat B2 on the second one. This way I would get my 2 independent feeds (with both satellites combined on each feed) to the receiver's dual tuner. But maybe I am overcomplicating?

Many thanks,
    Mr_D

Hi,

Thanks for all the info and advice. Quite new to the satellite world (ditching Sky after 7 years!) so a lot to learn.

As I explained on a different thread, all feeds will be sent to a single receiver. Plan is to be able to watch one channel while recording another one (without restrictions - so Apogee was guessing right). My understanding is that this requires the use of a twin LNB so that two independent feeds would be connected to the receiver's dual tuner. But maybe this is not correct? So with 2 satellites, this would necessitate 2 twin LNBs, and then I could use 2 DiseqC to combine Sat A1 with Sat B1 on the first DiseqC and Sat A2 with Sat B2 on the second one. This way I would get my 2 independent feeds (with both satellites combined on each feed) to the receiver's dual tuner. But maybe I am overcomplicating?

Many thanks,
    Mr_D

Mr D.

I think you have it right.

So what you need is a wall plate with one Coaxial and two F-Connectors.

If you can't find one on ebay you could use one of each of these:

http://www.satworld.ie/isolated-single-coaxial-wall-plate.html

http://www.satworld.ie/twin-f-type-wall-plate-screened.html

And you will also need two Diseqc switchs.

Regards

• Advertisement

You're right, of course, but he does mention that he has "two twin LNBs" with a twin tuner receiver (vu+ solo2) which makes me think that he still wants two separate feeds and two diseqc switches (into which outputs from both 28E and 19E goes into each diseqc switch). That provides full flexibility in terms of recording from 28E and watch 19E (or 28E) and vice versa.

Perhaps Mr D can clarify this?

Yes, that was obvious from the first post, that's why I suggested the wall plate setup in a previous post as it's the simplest most reliable way to get the signals to the box using 3 cables.

The stacker de-stacker just confuses the issue,

My understanding is that this requires the use of a twin LNB so that two independent feeds would be connected to the receiver's dual tuner. But maybe this is not correct? So with 2 satellites, this would necessitate 2 twin LNBs, and then I could use 2 DiseqC to combine Sat A1 with Sat B1 on the first DiseqC and Sat A2 with Sat B2 on the second one. This way I would get my 2 independent feeds (with both satellites combined on each feed) to the receiver's dual tuner. But maybe I am overcomplicating?

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

If space is at a premium and it's difficult to pull through more cables, then you can diplex Saorview and one sat feed onto one cable and you only need to pull through one new run (in addition to the existing cable). You can also get combo diplexer/diseqc switches:
    http://www.emp-centauri.cz/index.php?lang=en&page=prodview&id=199

BTW OP would you not consider getting a STB with a DVB-T tuner in it aswell so that you can record Saorview.

Vu+ range of receivers can use USB DVB-T tuners (have one myself), so I was again assuming that's why he wanted UHF (for Saorview).

iba wrote: »
    BTW OP would you not consider getting a STB with a DVB-T tuner in it aswell so that you can record Saorview.
    Vu+ range of receivers can use USB DVB-T tuners (have one myself), so I was again assuming that's why he wanted UHF (for Saorview).

All - yes you are correct again. I am still hesitating between the Solo2 with external (USB) DVB-T tuner, or the Duo2 with its DVB-C/T plug-in module. The latter has the benefit of integration (and therefore stability, and possibly other benefits?), but the price difference between the two receivers is quite steep. But I am diverging from the original topic, maybe I should start a new thread for this?

The USB DVB-T tuners can be a hit or miss on the Vu+ - I haven't had any troubles with a Hauppauge one, but I know others have. A number of people are currently recommending the PCTV Nanostick. There's threads for both the Vu+ and Solo2 receivers, so check in the thread links below for feedback.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055816677&page=218
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056906375
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057026540

Advertisement