Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is Eircom these days?

Options
  • 02-01-2014 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So I'm moving house soon and I'm wondering how Eircom is these days. I've heard that they have significant amount of downtime as well as fluctuating speeds on top of bad customer service (And this was most certainly the case when I first got broadband in around 2004).

But is this the case now? I ask this because sadly UPC won't be available in the area I'm moving to but Eircom Fiber will be. Since it's the fastest speed in the area I'm in, it peeks my interest. Right now I'm with Vodafone with 15 down and .8 up and it has been a nightmare for the past 5 years; especially for someone who uses every bit (literally) of speed they provide.

So can anyone tell me how well Eircom is these days, preferably Fiber and if anyone could attest to how much better..or worse it is compared to Vodafone that would be great too.

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Vodafone offer the same VDSL2(Fiber) service as eircom. You can keep them if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Since we got NGB the service has been rock solid. Not sure if eFibre is uncontended.
    UPC have a high contention ratio (somewhere said 20:1).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

I don't think Vodafone has VDSL2 available in my area. Also, isn't VDSL2 just faster DSL and not necessarily fiber optic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Saga1 wrote: »
    I don't think Vodafone has VDSL2 available in my area. Also, isn't VDSL2 just faster DSL and not necessarily fiber optic?

Yep, eFibre's a bit of a misnomer. Fibre's brought to your local cabinet, but copper to your home. Check eircom's efibre map for an expected date.

I wonder what FTTH from eircom will be called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

much better to deal with than they used to be

they actually seem to want to keep their customers now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, eFibre's a bit of a misnomer. Fibre's brought to your local cabinet, but copper to your home. Check eircom's efibre map for an expected date.

I wonder what FTTH from eircom will be called?

eGasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,745 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

So I'm moving house soon and I'm wondering how Eircom is these days. I've heard that they have significant amount of downtime as well as fluctuating speeds on top of bad customer service (And this was most certainly the case when I first got broadband in around 2004).

But is this the case now? I ask this because sadly UPC won't be available in the area I'm moving to but Eircom Fiber will be. Since it's the fastest speed in the area I'm in, it peeks my interest. Right now I'm with Vodafone with 15 down and .8 up and it has been a nightmare for the past 5 years; especially for someone who uses every bit (literally) of speed they provide.

So can anyone tell me how well Eircom is these days, preferably Fiber and if anyone could attest to how much better..or worse it is compared to Vodafone that would be great too.

Thanks all

Who did you hear this from? You could get more details from them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Bad customer service yes. Technical support is better.

Bad uptime no, well most of the time.

But then again, Vodafone don't have a very good reputation for customer service either.

FTTH I'd imagine would just be another part of Eircom's eFibre brand.

I see, thank you all. By "heard" I meant I didn't exactly hear it from one person but around the place so I can't exactly get more information from them.

I suppose I'll get it then, I don't think it can possibly be worse than Vodafone over the years although an eighteen month contract is a bit disheartening. One more question though and probably the most important: Are the speeds consistent, will they constantly fluctuate from slow to fast? (Another problem I had with Vodafone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

FTTH isnt happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,745 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I see, thank you all. By "heard" I meant I didn't exactly hear it from one person but around the place so I can't exactly get more information from them.

I suppose I'll get it then, I don't think it can possibly be worse than Vodafone over the years although an eighteen month contract is a bit disheartening. One more question though and probably the most important: Are the speeds consistent, will they constantly fluctuate from slow to fast? (Another problem I had with Vodafone)

You are far more likely to hear from the minority of people who have had a bad experience than from those who have no reason to complain. There have been probably around half a million FTTC upgrades and if there was any general problem it would be all over the media. In my own case I have never had much problem with Eircom before or after upgrade to FTTC. My speed is consistent, nearly always 47 down, 13 up and pings between 20 and 30.

3202476753.png

Yeah. maybe so. The upload speed from them is very nice too considering UPC only goes up to 10. I shall go with them then, thank you all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

nm wrote: »
    FTTH isnt happening

It has in a small number of areas, namely Sandyford. There is plans for it in Loughrea, though this is not eircom.

There is talk about fibre through ESB Telecom.

FTTH will happen eventually, but not anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

digiweb, vodafone, eircom, & utv fibre all run off eircom wholesale lines

magnet fibre runs off eircom wholesale lines and their own lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Mr. G wrote: »
    It has in a small number of areas, namely Sandyford. There is plans for it in Loughrea, though this is not eircom.

There is talk about fibre through ESB Telecom.

FTTH will happen eventually, but not anytime soon.

Sandyford and Wexford were the trial areas, it's not being rolled out further though for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Hows Magnet compared to Eircom? fibre wise..

Advertisement