Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upstairs apartment central heating problem

Options
  • 01-01-2014 8:55pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, long time reader of the forum here but decided I need some advice on the current situation I'm in.
    I'm married with an eight week old baby, and myself and my wife have been renting our current apartment for almost eight months at this point.
    The apartment is nice, a few earlier problems with a washing machine breaking down but the landlord has always been quick to help us out and replaced it within three days.
    I should note our central heating is included in the rental price and the four apartment block is subsequently on a timer for heating. None of this has been an issue.
    Since November we've been having problems however with the radiators becoming airlocked on about five occasions. I bled them the first two times but the third it appeared that it wasn't the rads.
    The landlord sent someone to look and it turns out that the pressure valve coming from the mains is the problem.
    We returned to the apartment last Sunday after spending a week with my parents for Christmas and there was no heat in the house.
    I immediately phoned the landlord and he sent someone out the next morning, and the problem seemed to be solved although he did mention the valve needed to be replaced.
    Now tonight the same issue has arisen. The rads are only hot in patches. At this stage I feel that we need to look at more suitable accommodation, as the health and welfare of my young baby is very important (naturally)
    I guess I'm asking for advice on what to do next? Apologies for the long winded-ness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi OP,

I would contact the landlord again and see when it can be arranged to have the valve replaced.

In my experience heating problems can't be a pain to get fixed as it can seem to be one thing but turns out to be another.

In the mean time possibly discuss buying a plug in oil heater and deducting the cost from rent and some contribution to the cost of running it..... We did similar with our landlord due to a similar issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Heating that you can control is a basic legal requirement for rented property http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

athtrasna wrote: »
    Heating that you can control is a basic legal requirement for rented property http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

And they seem to have waived that right in exchange for it being included in the rent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And they seem to have waived that right in exchange for it being included in the rent.

You can't waive basic requirements.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hi OP,

I would contact the landlord again and see when it can be arranged to have the valve replaced.

In my experience heating problems can't be a pain to get fixed as it can seem to be one thing but turns out to be another.

In the mean time possibly discuss buying a plug in oil heater and deducting the cost from rent and some contribution to the cost of running it..... We did similar with our landlord due to a similar issue

I actually have an oil heater in the house, have been using it to heat our bedroom. We do also have an electric heater in the living room/kitchen, but it is very costly and I am wary to use it after our last bill - my wife was pregnant, cold and left it on overnight, leading to an astronomical electric bill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MYOB wrote: »
    You can't waive basic requirements.

Sure they can. They can agree whatever they like. It's only a problem if one party have an issue and the terms are checked (eg in a PRTB investigation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Have you already spoken to the landlord today? Is someone on the way to fix it now?

If you have enough electric heaters to make the apartment comfortable, then use them as needed, and get the landlords agreement to deduct from rent.

It seems like the landlord has been quick enough to act on other requests, so presumably it will be the same now. They might be able to supply extra electrical heaters. They will probably also agree to a rent reduction to cover the cost of running the heaters.

Maybe have a backup plan to go to parents/hotel if heating not repaired soon, and discuss costs of that with landlord?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sure they can. They can agree whatever they like. It's only a problem if one party have an issue and the terms are checked (eg in a PRTB investigation).

Your two sentences there are contradictory.

You can agree what you like but the agreement is pointless and ineffectual, as you can't waive basic requirements.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

edanto wrote: »
    Have you already spoken to the landlord today? Is someone on the way to fix it now?

If you have enough electric heaters to make the apartment comfortable, then use them as needed, and get the landlords agreement to deduct from rent.

It seems like the landlord has been quick enough to act on other requests, so presumably it will be the same now. They might be able to supply extra electrical heaters. They will probably also agree to a rent reduction to cover the cost of running the heaters.

Maybe have a backup plan to go to parents/hotel if heating not repaired soon, and discuss costs of that with landlord?

The problem seems to have been solved for now. The repair man replaced the valve and it seems to have sorted the issue! Thanks for all the advice, I know someone mentioned basic requirements for heating but for the price of rent with heating included it's very reasonable. We intend to move at the end of our lease in may anyways to a larger place so I'd prefer to not have (or be the cause of) too much hassle in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MYOB wrote: »
    Your two sentences there are contradictory.

You can agree what you like but the agreement is pointless and ineffectual, as you can't waive basic requirements.

It may not be legal to do so.

But many people do so in practise, and going on about about basic requirements isn't much help in lots of circumstances.

It's a bit like speeding on a dual carriageway where the limit is ridiculously low. You can't do it. But still, many people do.

Legally the OP could insist on major changes to the heating system in the place. But practically that won't help with today's problem - or next week or next month most likely, because those changes would take a lot of work to install.

OP, glad it's sorted for you now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement