Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths?

Options
  • 01-01-2014 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Could someone tell me what books are used for the Leaving cert course, I have New Concise Maths 4 and 5.

Strand 1:

Statistics.
    Permutations, Combinations and Probability.

Strand 2:

Coordinate Geometry of the line.
    Coordinate Geometry of the Circle.
    Geometry.
    Trigonometry.

Is this the Leaving Cert course these days?

Does this book cover the whole course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Username99 wrote: »
    Could someone tell me what books are used for the Leaving cert course, I have New Concise Maths 4 and 5.

Strand 1:

Statistics.
    Permutations, Combinations and Probability.

Strand 2:

Coordinate Geometry of the line.
    Coordinate Geometry of the Circle.
    Geometry.
    Trigonometry.

Is this the Leaving Cert course these days?

Does this book cover the whole course?

I presume you know the Leaving Cert Maths course was replaced over the past few years? Books from a few years ago wouldn't be sufficient to cover the new course.

All of the above chapters are included on the course but there are many more chapters with those e.g. Differentiation, Integration, Proof by Induction, Sequences and Series, Algebra etc.? As well as that the chapters you mentioned are explored in a more 'applied' context.

In our school we use Active Maths 4 - Books 1 & 2 to cover the course. (This is for the Higher Level course.)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What level are you doing?

You have books for Strand 1 and 2. There are 5 strands.

Strand 1 - Probability & Statistics
    Strand 2 - Geometry, Trigonometry & Co-ordindate Geometry
    Strand 3 - Number
    Strand 4 - Algebra
    Strand 5 - Functions & Calculus

You need to get books for the other 3 strands. I'm not familiar with Concise Maths so I don't know which books you need if you're sticking with the same publisher.
    As well as that the chapters you mentioned are explored in a more 'applied' context.

If it's one of the New Concise Maths books that specifically mention the Project Maths Strands(it has to be because it contains the Probability chapters), then I'd say that would do for Strands 1 and 2.

Edit: Active Maths, Concise Maths and Text & Tests are the three popular books out there if you want to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    What level are you doing?

You have books for Strand 1 and 2. There are 5 strands.

Strand 1 - Probability & Statistics
    Strand 2 - Geometry, Trigonometry & Co-ordindate Geometry
    Strand 3 - Number
    Strand 4 - Algebra
    Strand 5 - Functions & Calculus

You need to get books for the other 3 strands. I'm not familiar with Concise Maths so I don't know which books you need if you're sticking with the same publisher.

If it's one of the New Concise Maths books that specifically mention the Project Maths Strands(it has to be because it contains the Probability chapters), then I'd say that would do for Strands 1 and 2.

Edit: Active Maths, Concise Maths and Text & Tests are the three popular books out there if you want to have a look.

Oh yes, the book I have is a blue one published by Gill and Macmillan.
    It covers strands one and two. I'll have to pick up the others somewhere.

Thanks for the advice

Advertisement