Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unpaid leave

Options
  • 01-01-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I need to take unpaid leave from my employer for personal reasons.
    I don't want to claim im sick as I am not and to get sick certs but I need to take a month off.
    Can I claim social welfare when im off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

spinga wrote: »
    I don't want to claim im sick as I am not and to get sick certs but I need to take a month off.

No. Not when you've left work by your own choice, and are off for just a month.
    Have you annual leave you can take?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Check your contract of employment or staff handbook they my have something in there about leave for personal reasons. No you cannot make a claim for welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

spinga wrote: »

You are not available for work, have a job and choose not to work. Can't think of any entitlment you can get or should get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI

Hey there,

This is the best forum for advice relating to Work & Jobs.

All the best
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Is it a situation that parental leave is appropriate for?

If you are not "sick" in the traditional sense, but are in a mental health sense you may consider looking for sick leave.

If it's for personal reasons such as vacation or exams (you specifically already know your time frame) then you will have to come to an arrangement with your employer by agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You may not even be able to take personal leave. You may need to hand notice into your employer and apply for your job back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moved from Work and Jobs to State Benefits.

OP, depending on the particular circumstances (sick relative to care for) there may be some options open to you, eg Caregivers Allowance. If you can give some details, people may be able to suggest other options.

Also, as stated, if it's mental health related, that does count as sick. I'd strongly suggest talking to your doctor about possibilities.

Advertisement