Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming with a webcam

Options
  • 01-01-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I hear that lots of groups are doing this as not everyone is in the same area.

Has anyone here done this?
    Where do you find groups to play with?
    Is there any preferred software to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I think most people just use Skype.

Less hassle I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Friend of mine regularly runs his games using Skype and webcams for the couple of players who moved countries since he started his campaigns. It works fine, as long as you do a little extra prep work before hand. Like ensuring you have digital copies of handouts or maps to send to anyone not in the room.

Google Hangouts can do the same as Skype, and also have dice roller apps.

I just remembered there was something called Infrno released not too long ago, which was a virtual tabletop you and your players could log into. The GM could sketch or upload images and display them to players. The free version is a bit restricted, and I can't say if it's worth $4.99 a month (or €14.99 a month for premium features (or $199 for lifetime membership)).

Probably cheaper to go with Skype or Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

Thanks sarky.
    Lots of good information there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TimvanW

Hey Steve.
    You should try Roll20, it's a website that specializes in simulating tabletop gaming, it's an amazing website.
    It has webcam support, microphone support and dice commands built in, which means you don't have to pay for anything at all.
    Give it a shot, it's really cool, and with some effort can play a lot of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Sarky wrote: »
    Friend of mine regularly runs his games using Skype and webcams for the couple of players who moved countries since he started his campaigns. It works fine, as long as you do a little extra prep work before hand. Like ensuring you have digital copies of handouts or maps to send to anyone not in the room.

Google Hangouts can do the same as Skype, and also have dice roller apps.

I just remembered there was something called Infrno released not too long ago, which was a virtual tabletop you and your players could log into. The GM could sketch or upload images and display them to players. The free version is a bit restricted, and I can't say if it's worth $4.99 a month (or €14.99 a month for premium features (or $199 for lifetime membership)).

Probably cheaper to go with Skype or Google.

A massive +1 for Google Hangouts, have found it a major improvement in terms of overall quality versus skype. The multi person videos are excellent.
    We now regularly game with one person in another country, and setup a few web cams as we have a large group (tablets, phones etc). It enables the person to see the game board, plus various people around the table.
    Verrrrrrry easily done with hangouts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement