Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry fly fishing

Options
  • 31-12-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey lads I started dry fly fishing on rivers last year and got hooked on it but my rod and line is to big using 11ft 7 weight I'm just looking for a few suggestions on wat I should get have 250 to spend on rod and reel I know not much but that's wat I have tks guys Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

what size rivers are you fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Troutmc1000

what size rivers are you fishing?

The river bandon in west cork it's not to big

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

For dry fly fishing the more delicate the presentation the better...... Personally i use a 2/3 weight greys rod got online for 80euro, its a smashing rod.

Also use fine tippet if possible.

i fish a small river in mayo and use a greys x-flite 8' 4#. just checked out some pics of the bandon and some of the fish in it. id be tempted to go with a ten foot rod to help get a bit more distance on the cast and probably around a 3 or 4 weight if you hook a big trout you need enough beef in the rod to play it. id check out the greys rod for the price you pay i dont think they can be beat. the reel i use is the wychwood true fly sla

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/wychwood-truefly-sla-reel~6089.html

great reel for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

It's personal thing but I would go for 9 ft 4 weight.
    Don't spend anything more than 100 on a rod.

• Advertisement

Thats actually a good point by flyfisher about it being a personal thing. Your best bet is to try a few different weights and lenghts and also factor in your casting ability.

very true about a personal thing but having rod to suit the river helps. I tried my 10ft rod on the river and found it too long to use because of the trees. ive read so many articles on on nymphing recently trying to decide the best rod to get and every article is contradictory! if you have the opportunity to try several rods that would be your best best. Not sure why flyfisher suggested not speding more than 100 on a rod as i have used cheap rods in the past and they would never even stand close to the rods i have now. One rod i would recommend staying away from is the wychwoods, they make an amazing reels but their rod's aren't up to much.

very true about a personal thing but having rod to suit the river helps. I tried my 10ft rod on the river and found it too long to use because of the trees. ive read so many articles on on nymphing recently trying to decide the best rod to get and every article is contradictory! if you have the opportunity to try several rods that would be your best best. Not sure why flyfisher suggested not speding more than 100 on a rod as i have used cheap rods in the past and they would never even stand close to the rods i have now. One rod i would recommend staying away from is the wychwoods, they make an amazing reels but their rod's aren't up to much.

i would agree also that wychwood rods are not great to be honest.....action is far too soft. If the OP is looking to get a cheap rod i once had a shakepere sigma i bought going on a holiday and it was a cracking little rod, every bit as good as my greys.

With regards to nymphing articles contradicting each other this may be true, but you must take into consideration there are different types of nymphing i.e czech nymphing, upstream nymphing, bugging etc and some rods will suit onr form of nymphing more than the other.......i.e. Longer rod is far better for czech nymphing as your on a short line , whereas a smaller rod may be better for upstream nymphing.

Obviously you could do all the above with a single rod , but this may explain why the articles appear contradictory.

Hope this helps.

Also OP with regards to a reel. There are great offers at the moment on the greys gx500. It comes with 3 interchangable spools and is a cracking reel with good build quality for the price. Ive seem them online at the glasgow angling centres site for £40 which is good value.

Advertisement