Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish section in tescos in coventry

Options
  • 31-12-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi, just to let people know that there is a shelf in tescos at the Richo that has some Irish products, the last time i was there, among other things, i saw bottles of Cidona, cans of Club orange, some Irish tea (Barry's), cans of Smithwicks, Chef brown sauce, some Irish crisps ( not Taytos) and strangely enough bars of Cadburys mint crisp, golden crisp and caramello

hope that's helpful to someone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

hiluxman wrote: »
    Hi, just to let people know that there is a shelf in tescos at the Richo that has some Irish products, the last time i was there, among other things, i saw bottles of Cidona, cans of Club orange, some Irish tea (Barry's), cans of Smithwicks, Chef brown sauce, some Irish crisps ( not Taytos) and strangely enough bars of Cadburys mint crisp, golden crisp and caramello

hope that's helpful to someone

Can I ask how the above are "Irish" do the UK sell any of the bolded items?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

To be fair to the guy you quoted, I don't think he's a spokesman for that particular supermarket and isn't in a position to answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

To be fair to the guy you quoted, I don't think he's a spokesman for that particular supermarket and isn't in a position to answer your question.

Fully understand but half the products in the "Irish Section" can be got already in "British Section".

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Club Orange is Irish, couldn't get it for love nor money when I lived in Manchester!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Fully understand but half the products in the "Irish Section" can be got already in "British Section".

Irish dairy milk bars are made using a different process to their British counterparts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Terrontress

None of those items are in sale in normal UK product ranges.

The Cadburys bars are made in Coolock rather than the English produced ones. I know people who travel to London every week for work and bring bars over to the Irish.

It's difficult to get a lot of those items in Belfast, never mind Coventry.

You find a lot of Asda which have those same product lines under their 'Ethnic' section.

The Taytos are the NI version, the Jacobs biscuits are all called Bolands and there are some things I have never heard of like Irel coffee.

Lived in Nottingham for a year and none of my English friends had ever heard of Cidona. So that definitely seems to be an Irish thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

Tesco on ballards lane north Finchley in London have an irishy section with Barry's tea and real taytos among other things

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Tesco on ballards lane north Finchley in London have an irishy section with Barry's tea and real taytos among other things

Am I the only one who has never had this craving for Tayto's? I really don't get it, all crisps taste pretty similar to me. Give me a Cheese and Onion from Walkers and one from Tayto or King and I really don't think I could tell any difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... and there are some things I have never heard of like Irel coffee.
    Never knew it still existed in Ireland let alone on a British supermarket shelf. It used to be a staple in the Mammy's baking press. A blend of coffee & chickory essences, it was your only man for making the filling & topping for coffee cakes. Ah sure them were the days Jem, them were the days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have never heard of like Irel coffee.

Superquinn sell it in Dublin. As far as I know it's about 3% coffee and I'm being serious. Most old Irish cook books list use it for a coffee flavour as affordable coffee wasnt really sold in Ireland. It can be made us as a coffee drink and my grandparents used to drink it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The Taytos are the NI version, the Jacobs biscuits are all called Bolands and there are some things I have never heard of like Irel coffee.

Can't stand those NI Taytos. They don't deserve to bear the name. Get's tiring explaining to people over here that the real Taytos are actually miles better then the poor imitation NI ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Advertisement