Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First shots of the HD client

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

It looks good. I've never bothered about the whole "War Thunder looks better" thing, I don't think too many people will be moving for graphics alone.
    There's also alot of talk of how the War Thunder competition is making Wargaming deal with graphics and engine improvements but those changes were always going to take place once the game became so popular.

Supposedly alot less tanks are to be released in 2014 with focus on game optimisation, HD client and Havok, etc. so this might calm the gameplay down a bit with less autoloaders or massive TDs being introduced every few months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Future players don't see gameplay though, they just see graphics. If Warthunder forces them to improve, it's to everyone's benefit. Roll on proper multi-core though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Spear wrote: »
    Future players don't see gameplay though, they just see graphics. If Warthunder forces them to improve, it's to everyone's benefit. Roll on proper multi-core though.

I have played Ground Forces and all I can say WoT is fecked, its gameplay is fantastic even at an early beta stage

can't really say anything else as the NDA forbids me

Used to love WoT but WG are destroying the game with every patch for the last six months, most of the older players will leave WoT and head over to WT as the strategy in the gameplay is top class

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fix the problems before making things pretty you twats. Hnnngh. Ive a 7870 but only get 35-45fps in some maps because of terrible coding. Appears to be the threading issue, Core0 totally loaded and 3 idle cores. 7870 isnt going over 60% load, what a waste. I should be rock solid at 60fps the whole time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ED E wrote: »
    Fix the problems before making things pretty you twats. Hnnngh. Ive a 7870 but only get 35-45fps in some maps because of terrible coding. Appears to be the threading issue, Core0 totally loaded and 3 idle cores. 7870 isnt going over 60% load, what a waste. I should be rock solid at 60fps the whole time.

The addition of multi-core usage will sort that. I don't think you can doubt WG's willingness to fix the engine, since they did drop $40 million to buy the company that makes it to ensure they got the fixes they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Polar101

Interesting, didn't even know they were planning a graphics upgrade. To be honest I think the tech side has been good enough (for me!) since the physics were introduced (0.8.0?).

Polar101 wrote: »
    Interesting, didn't even know they were planning a graphics upgrade. To be honest I think the tech side has been good enough (for me!) since the physics were introduced (0.8.0?).

Physics will be re-worked totally too with Havok being introduced. Tanks turning over on their backs, turrets being ripped off by explosions.

I think 2014 will be a good year for effects/gameplay, missions and CW changes, excitement for me is growing bit by bit.

The addition of multi-core usage will sort that. I don't think you can doubt WG's willingness to fix the engine, since they did drop $40 million to buy the company that makes it to ensure they got the fixes they wanted.

Ahh, very promising. Cant wait. Now to drag myself away from my TOGII and study :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Update on the next patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD2jHxZ1v5k

New map, no new tanks. New Nation vs Nation mode. Changes to UI in relation to garage and ingame chat. Tweak to Tier 10 TD's.

"transitional update before 9.0"

Nation versus nation sounds awesome, I just wonder if it will be any good or will it be another Assault. Improvements overall with some maps being re-worked and the top tier TDs being re-balanced which is probably needed (even though it makes my Object 268 sad).

• Advertisement

The next patch isn't the HD client though, but 9.0 does follow 8.11/8.B, so it's about 8 weeks from release yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Aenaes wrote: »
    Nation versus nation sounds awesome, I just wonder if it will be any good or will it be another Assault. Improvements overall with some maps being re-worked and the top tier TDs being re-balanced which is probably needed (even though it makes my Object 268 sad).
    I'd say Foch and possibly the new German TD are in the aim for nerfs rather then the 268 and does anyone else but me want to play Russian tanks vs. French? I take that back... 268 nerf because 268s were so popular as it was...

Nody wrote: »
    I'd say Foch and possibly the new German TD are in the aim for nerfs rather then the 268 and does anyone else but me want to play Russian tanks vs. French? I take that back... 268 nerf because 268s were so popular as it was...

It seems to be the 268, Foch, T110E4 and T110E3 are the TDs that will get their average damage reduced from 850 to 750 per shot.

Foch also loses its 1200 horsepower engine to be replaced by an engine of 1000 horsepower.

Waffentrager doesn't seem like it will be touched yet as it's still early to review its statistics and they probably haven't decided on which ways to nerf it if a nerf is needed.

The WT-E100 is going to take some hits, just not in DPM:

From FTR
    Waffenträger E-100 will be nerfed in following parameters: hull traverse, aim spread when turret is rotating, turret rotation speed

Any updates on a release date?

ED E wrote: »
    Any updates on a release date?

It's 9.0, the normal release cycle is every 6 weeks, and 8.11 is out in two weeks or so, so if WG keep on their pattern, test client in 5 weeks, public release in 8.

It's 9.0, the normal release cycle is every 6 weeks, and 8.11 is out in two weeks or so, so if WG keep on their pattern, test client in 5 weeks, public release in 8.

Cheers

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

Been running some tests on the 155 and it does feel demonstrably slower than before. As a mainly light tank scout/spotter this is good news to me, sick and tired of being chased by Foch's all over the map :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I've just started playing and while the game plays ok on my laptop I doubt it could handle HD... will players be able to stick with old settings?

I've just started playing and while the game plays ok on my laptop I doubt it could handle HD... will players be able to stick with old settings?

The vast majority report no drop in FPS from the HD models.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

The vast majority report no drop in FPS from the HD models.
    Drweavil wrote: »
    Yep

Oh cool. I don't know much about computers etc just assumed that my fps, which is just ok, would dramatically fall with HD

Oh cool. I don't know much about computers etc just assumed that my fps, which is just ok, would dramatically fall with HD

If they do it right they may improve as you could keep the lower res textures but have better threading across multiple CPU cores.

We got a date for it yet?

Advertisement