Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford 1100 - how will you celebrate?

Options
  • 31-12-2013 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Well lads,

Ireland's oldest city has a big birthday and how are you going to celebrate it?

Going to the fireworks on saturday? Invite family and friends to see the viking triangle and a delicious meal? Or maybe just a blaa with sparklers!

There's plenty of events on waterford1100.com up to june and I think there's plenty of time to plan events for the second half of the year... bake your own blaa, brian boru reinactments and a viking vinterville concert to finish the year on a high are just a few ideas.

Waterford deserves a lift and what's more this can be done even now. In the article below it says that Limerick only received their 6m of state funding for their city of culture in the october budget and look at the impressive programme planned in such a short time scale.

There's no reason why waterford 1100 can't end on a national high. What small contribution can you make? A sticky thread on boards with everyone's ideas and events could be a simple starting point - lets share what the city has to offer!

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/parades-and-processions-as-dublin-and-limerick-count-down-to-2014-1.1639985

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

il have a few blass and il be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

its not the best advertised at all is it... or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

0rt wrote: »

Personally I feel like I've seen too many ads for it, but it could just be due to the groups I follow on FB and the like. Have seen it in print a bit and on the radio as well. In terms of advertising with posters in the city or what have you, might agree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

0rt wrote: »

How do you know about it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Saw a fair few references on Facebook and since looking it up, I can now see adverts on Boards.ie. Targeting because I googled it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Sully wrote: »
    Saw a fair few references on Facebook and since looking it up, I can now see adverts on Boards.ie. Targeting because I googled it.

i can also see that advert - website built by a Cork Web Development Company? Hhhhhmm...

00833827 wrote: »
    i can also see that advert - website built by a Cork Web Development Company? Hhhhhmm...

FFS to follow this logic through we would have to duplicate every service/business in every ****hole in Ireland and only employ our own,essentially run every village as a Canton!
    idiotic in the extreme and a moronic thought pattern that is unfortunately prevalent from quite a few posters on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

wellboytoo wrote: »
    FFS to follow this logic through we would have to duplicate every service/business in every ****hole in Ireland and only employ our own,essentially run every village as a Canton!
    idiotic in the extreme and a moronic thought pattern that is unfortunately prevalent from quite a few posters on here!

I bet all the local web development companies, of which there are many, will be questioning why a job such as this, which they would all be well capable of, was not awarded to someone locally.

00833827 wrote: »
    I bet all the local web development companies, of which there are many, will be questioning why a job such as this, which they would all be well capable of, was not awarded to someone locally.

I get a bit tetchy when people ask or allude to the same thing ad nauseam .cranky little bollix I suppose but it still doesn't make what I wrote wrong.
    P's by your logic the local web development companies would not get work in Cork, I'd say they be pissed over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Waterford blah

All of the design work for Waterford 1100 has been done by a Waterford company, including the website. A simple 'off the shelf' website was selected by the event organisers and the designers then outsourced it to their own contract web developer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

Sideways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Vadrarfjordr is previewed in SIX national papers today, including this piece in the Irish Daily Mail
    Tune in to Morning Ireland RTE radio 1 tomorrow morning when Eamonn McEneaney, Museum Director, Waterford Treasures will be talking about Waterford1100 and Vadrarfjordr !

https://www.facebook.com/Waterford1100

The Irish Independent:
    1506641_561749773911968_65195424_n.jpg

Also in The Star:
    1486719_561749610578651_1316782794_n.jpg

A nice piece in the Irish Times...
    1525189_561749257245353_107468989_n.jpg

etc

How many of ye are planning to go? Going to head in with the missus, probably go quite a bit earlier to (hopefully) make sure to get a parking spot and make a day out of it so to speak. Have heard estimates of upwards of 10,000 people are expected to be there, is that right?

I doubt the Vikings sailed up the Suir in January, might have been nicer to do this in early summer both in terms of history and comfort weather-wise. Understandable that they want to start off the year with something very 'Viking' nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Excellent fireworks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

KevIRL wrote: »
    Excellent fireworks

Dunno man, stepped out the back door up in grange heights in between cans and they were not even visible. I feel so cheated and marginalised :D

Glad they were great, just couldn't get in due too kids runs in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

KevIRL wrote: »
    Excellent fireworks

+1. A great show and a truly monumental fireworks display. Happy birthday to the oldest - and best - City in Ireland. The narration was also excellent. The voice - whoever it was - completed the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

7upfree wrote: »
    +1. A great show and a truly monumental fireworks display. Happy birthday to the oldest - and best - City in Ireland. The narration was also excellent. The voice - whoever it was - completed the show.

Yes was excellent - voice of Padraig O Griofa I'd say - good choice, loves the theatre, all things Waterford and a great booming Waaaaterford voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

What an amazing show. Really thought it was great, loved it.

Happy birthday to a great city.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Some footage of the fireworks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭smokeyjoe123

Great night, fantastic firework display, couldn't believe the amount of people there.

• Advertisement

I was down there with the missus, just a few meters away (and in a spot slightly elevated) but couldn't see squat of the show really, just the bit when they were up on the boats, but once they got off all we saw were the licks of the flames surrounding. Was there more happening down on the ground?

I usually don't give a ... about fireworks, but I have to admit that the fireworks were great and really impressive.

Saw that the estimates were 12,000 attended - I think that's quite a bit of an exaggeration (again because I was slightly elevated and could see the entire crowd, but I wasn't doing a headcount either).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I was down there with the missus, just a few meters away (and in a spot slightly elevated) but couldn't see squat of the show really, just the bit when they were up on the boats, but once they got off all we saw were the licks of the flames surrounding. Was there more happening down on the ground?

I usually don't give a ... about fireworks, but I have to admit that the fireworks were great and really impressive.

Saw that the estimates were 12,000 attended - I think that's quite a bit of an exaggeration (again because I was slightly elevated and could see the entire crowd, but I wasn't doing a headcount either).

Agreed 10k is an exaggeration. would have been the the area to the left and heard kids complaining they couldnt see anything either and saw quite a few people head off because of this. TBH when you see 2 stands so god knows who can see the event and not have to mingle with the great unwashed its not very fair esp when it has been put on for the people of waterford and they cant see.
    You hear people saying waterford keeps getting forgotten etc, it cant be good when event organizers do it as well.

Martin_D wrote: »
    Yes was excellent - voice of Padraig O Griofa I'd say - good choice, loves the theatre, all things Waterford and a great booming Waaaaterford voice.

Absolutely amazing voice. I loved the way he retained his Waterford accent, even though his diction was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

7upfree wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing voice. I loved the way he retained his Waterford accent, even though his diction was perfect.

cant say i noticed a Waterford accent but he and it was very good all the same. pity it didnt make news (maybe it did, i may have missed it), hopefully nationwide will do a bit on it or something. We put on a good show here in Waterford with Spraoi and other organisers.

Max Powers wrote: »
    cant say i noticed a Waterford accent but he and it was very good all the same. pity it didnt make news (maybe it did, i may have missed it), hopefully nationwide will do a bit on it or something. We put on a good show here in Waterford with Spraoi and other organisers.

Ah, it was there Max. Not the classic "well boi" as all of us use. But it was noticeable. Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Max Powers wrote: »
    It made the RTE News:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0104/495951-waterford-1100/

Also covered in today's Irish Times, Irish Daily Star and Irish Examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

excellent show, great fireworks and effort by Spraoi.

Only detraction would be viewing stand "VIP's" this is Waterford not New York.

LiamD1977 wrote: »
    excellent show, great fireworks and effort by Spraoi.

Only detraction would be viewing stand "VIP's" this is Waterford not New York.

Thought that was ott myself and could be seen as devisive in the times we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Thought that was ott myself and could be seen as devisive in the times we live in.

Exactly. Is there a PR department at work there at all? A VIP area is a great idea, but why not have special needs people on it instead of councillors and people from the 1100 committee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Exactly. Is there a PR department at work there at all? A VIP area is a great idea, but why not have special needs people on it instead of councillors and people from the 1100 committee?

Hardly a lavish leather bound champaign pit, there was a large special needs platform beside it.

Advertisement