Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G / H+ Speeds

Options
  • 31-12-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I just did a speed check last night on my phone to test my 3G / H+ speed and I was pleasantly surprised that I was getting 13MB Download speed.

Is this about right or average now for 3G networks? I'm not on a 4G plan.

Just wondering what everyone elses speeds are like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You must be right next to a cell tower. Literally next door...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BogManInc

No, definitely none next door! :P

There's a few around the area - think my nearest eMobile mast is about a mile or two away though.

Yeah, I was very surprised to see such good speeds alright - was just wondering if that's the norm for mobile 3G networks nowadays?

I don't feel too bad not having 4G now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

BogManInc wrote: »
    I don't feel too bad not having 4G now! :)

Sure about that?

1395918_10201428224801411_1668215535_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

BogManInc wrote: »
    I just did a speed check last night on my phone to test my 3G / H+ speed and I was pleasantly surprised that I was getting 13MB Download speed.

Is this about right or average now for 3G networks? I'm not on a 4G plan.

Just wondering what everyone elses speeds are like?

I wouldn't call it average, Vodafone and Meteor/ Eircoms 3G networks use HSPA+, sort of a evolved 3G, Meteor up to 21Mb, Vodafone up to 44Mb, if your serving mast is not congested you will get some very fast download speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Best Ive ever managed on 3 was 12Mb down. So 13 is pretty nice. In busy areas that plummets to an average of 2-3 at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I got 30Mbps on O2 the other day. I was on the bus around the Samual Becket Bridge just next to the Telefonica/O2 headquarters though; I am assuming they have a couple of antenna in there set to deliver the best 3G speeds they potentially can to potential high profile visitors.

Advertisement