Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with shower

Options
  • 31-12-2013 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have just moved into a new place in the last few weeks and there is a problem with the pressure from the shower - its really poor and makes showering nearly impossible. I dont have an electric shower. The boiler is on the same level as the shower. The pressure from the taps is perfect and i dont think the problem is with the shower head as the water flows through all of the holes in the shower head so it doesnt look blocked. What are my options here regarding the landlord? Im not looking for an electric shower, i just want something done about the lack of pressure from the shower.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Did you try descaling the shower head? it is worth a try.
    When we lived in Balbriggan the shower was unusable until we got a pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Did you try descaling the shower head? it is worth a try.
    When we lived in Balbriggan the shower was unusable until we got a pump.

Ill give it a try. Is there something you can buy to do this?
    Did you ask the landlord to arrange for the installation of a shower pump?

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am the landlord so I installed the pump.
    Yes,in tesco/any supermarket you can but Oust http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250479407 it is way better then using vinegar or lemon juice.(there are a few different brand names but for the same thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If the head is easily detachable (many simply screw off) you could test the water flow with the head off. But do it carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

The boiler being on the same level usually won't effect the shower.

Most Irish houses have a cold supply from the domestic water tank to the hot water cylinder which heats the water and this then goes to the shower. How high is the bottom of the tank above the shower head?

• Advertisement

Double post, deleted 2nd post

The boiler being on the same level usually won't effect the shower.

Most Irish houses have a cold supply from the domestic water tank to the hot water cylinder which heats the water and this then goes to the shower. How high is the bottom of the tank above the shower head?

Hi all

Thanks for the info.

The height of the bottom of the domestic water tank in the attic above the shower head would be about 3 feet at best id imagine. However the pressure to the bath taps is ok.

Ill take off the shower head and check the pressure. What do i have to be careful of when i do this?

Thanks!

Hi all

Thanks for the info.

The height of the bottom of the domestic water tank in the attic above the shower head would be about 3 feet at best id imagine. However the pressure to the bath taps is ok.

Ill take off the shower head and check the pressure. What do i have to be careful of when i do this?

Thanks!

You've plenty of water pressure then, it could be
    1. a damaged changeover valve - assuming you have one of the bath taps where you move a lever to switch the water from the taps to shower
    2. A damaged, kinked hose that is restricting the flow of water
    3. Blocked shower head

Take off the hose where it comes out of the tap and blow through it - if the air disappears easily the hose and head probably aren't blocked

If its the valve thats blocked your looking at getting a plumber in, your probably going to need to change the taps and thats a big job

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's a while since I have dealt with any plumbing issues, but I am fairly sure that the "head" should be measured from the surface of the water tank, which might be a foot or two more than from the bottom of the tank. That said, a head of maybe 5 feet is not very much, and I would not expect a very strong flow from the shower. I think it should be reasonably acceptable unless you want to simulate a power shower.

When you remove the shower head, you have to be careful that the pressure is not a lot higher than you had been thinking, and that you might get water spouting far more than you were expecting and drench yourself. All I meant was that you should open the tap very slowly.

Ok i took off the shower head and the pressure looks 'ok', it's not spouting too far bur it's not dribbling either. I blew air through the shower head and didnt seem to get good pressure out of the end of the shower head. What i did notice however is that the end of the shower head which connects to the hose only has 3 tiny little holes. Maybe someone before me bought this in an effort to try and boost the pressure. Ill buy another shower head today and give it a go. Failing this, i'll ask the landlord to get someone to try and sort this problem out. Thanks all for the info.

• Advertisement

New shower head did the trick! thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement