Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census records for Ballinvreena, Emly

Options
  • 31-12-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

While searching for a cousin's census details, I noticed that Ballinvreena (now spelt as Ballinvrina) is not listed in the parish of Emly but listed instead under Rodus which is another townland in Emly. I believe that all the townlands listed under Rodus should be in the parish of Emly. The townland of Rodus is small and only contains few houses.

I can see that Ballinvreena, Emly on the Tithe Records and I believe it is the same on Griffiths (website down undergoing maintenance for long time??).

Should NAI be advised of this error?

Happy New Year!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I believe the Rodus division listed on the census pages is actually the name of the Electoral Division, so a larger area than the townland of the same name. The civil parish on the form B1 for the entries under Rodus DED show Emly as far as I can see. The DED names listed on the census often coincide with smaller divisions within them - e.g. Emly is a parish, town and townland and also the name of a DED, Rodus is a DED and townland etc

You can view maps showing Electoral districts on the LogAinm website - scroll down to the 'Historical maps > Boundaries' section, the South West section show Rodus DED in Tipperary and right on the border with Co. Limerick.

extract of the B1 form for part of Rodus DED, showing civil parish barony and townland names
    286648.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Shane,

Apologies for delay in replying and many thanks for the explanation even though it doesn't make much sense to have various separate townlands in a different electoral division. However, in terms of people searching the census for their relatives in the parish of Emly, they probably won't find them unless they have the correct name of the townland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The NAI aren't going to change where images are shown - the rest are organised by DED so making an exception for one set of images would break the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

montgo wrote: »
    ....However, in terms of people searching the census for their relatives in the parish of Emly, they probably won't find them unless they have the correct name of the townland.

you cannot specifically search by parish when doing location searches on the census, just the townland/street, DED and county - so the parish of Emly is not really relevant, and in this case even though the same name appears it refers to the DED of the same name.

Assuming you cant find the people you are searching for by name, then you would have to figure out which DED a particular townland was in, or as above check the reverse of the household or building return forms to see PLU, civil parish, barony etc

Advertisement