Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Recommendation Galway

Options
  • 31-12-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Ok I live just outside of Galway city, in Menlo. I'm with eircom at the moment and paying a ridiculous 60euro a month for phone and broadband. Broadband has been down for the past few days and eircom are "working" to fix it. I'll believe it when i see it. But anyway, I'm looking to change companies. I really don't want to pay 60euro a month for terrible speeds. I can't do a speedtest at the minute cos broadband's down. I'm using my phone as a hotspot to use mobile data. But from what I remember my download speeds were around 0.5mbps and the upload speeds were 0.1mbps.

Smart Telecom are offering pretty much the same service as eircom but for 29.95p/m - Has anyone any experience with them?

My other option is Imagine WiMax - 19p/m - phone and broadband - Again, has anyone any experience?

I don't necessarily need a phone either, i only have one cos most companies require a phone line for broadband. If someone can please help me out with a recommendation, that'd be great.

And before everyone starts saying how great UPC are, I can't get UPC broadband in Menlo unfortunately :(

Also, how can I find where the nearest exchange to my house is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your exchange wont change. And if Eircom are down then its very likely smart customers are too.

If you want better speeds go for fixed wireless. DSL wont change unless you get a fibre cabinet near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

GlowStick wrote: »
    Ok I live just outside of Galway city, in Menlo. I'm with eircom at the moment and paying a ridiculous 60euro a month for phone and broadband. Broadband has been down for the past few days and eircom are "working" to fix it. I'll believe it when i see it. But anyway, I'm looking to change companies. I really don't want to pay 60euro a month for terrible speeds. I can't do a speedtest at the minute cos broadband's down. I'm using my phone as a hotspot to use mobile data. But from what I remember my download speeds were around 0.5mbps and the upload speeds were 0.1mbps.

Smart Telecom are offering pretty much the same service as eircom but for 29.95p/m - Has anyone any experience with them?

My other option is Imagine WiMax - 19p/m - phone and broadband - Again, has anyone any experience?

I don't necessarily need a phone either, i only have one cos most companies require a phone line for broadband. If someone can please help me out with a recommendation, that'd be great.

And before everyone starts saying how great UPC are, I can't get UPC broadband in Menlo unfortunately :(

Also, how can I find where the nearest exchange to my house is?

Jesus i can't believe you only get that speeds being so close to the city. But as mentioned your speeds aren't gonna increase using the same phone line with a different provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GlowStick

Jesus i can't believe you only get that speeds being so close to the city. But as mentioned your speeds aren't gonna increase using the same phone line with a different provider.

I know. It's ridiculous. Eircom have said they're bringing efibre broadband to the area in April. So they're saying my speed should increase then. But I find that hard to believe when they can't even provide me with 1mbps at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GlowStick wrote: »
    I know. It's ridiculous. Eircom have said they're bringing efibre broadband to the area in April. So they're saying my speed should increase then. But I find that hard to believe when they can't even provide me with 1mbps at the moment!

No, it actually will improve. A lot. It'll take your line from 7 or 8km and shorten it down to a few hundred meters to 2km(at the very longest, most are a lot less). This allows for much higher speeds. Just see the fibre threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GlowStick

ED E wrote: »
    No, it actually will improve. A lot. It'll take your line from 7 or 8km and shorten it down to a few hundred meters to 2km(at the very longest, most are a lot less). This allows for much higher speeds. Just see the fibre threads.

Awesome. Thanks I'll have a read of the fibre threads so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement