Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a home when on social welfare

Options
  • 31-12-2013 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

can i buy a house in ireland,if i lost a job and taking social welfare payments?
    should i still will be getting welfare?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If you are going to get Job seekers Benefit and you have enough cash to buy a house then that's OK.
    If you are looking for Job seekers Allowance and you have enough cash to buy a house then you probably won't get. Any Job seekers Allowance.
    If you havnt got the cash I doubt you would get a mortgage if your only income is SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kevin455

i sold my flat in other country,and i want to buy in ireland house,i have enough cash,but and taking social welfare payments. I lost job 2 years time,still not working.My question is:should i still will be getting social welfare payments when i buy house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

kevin455 wrote: »
    i sold my flat in other country,and i want to buy in ireland house,i have enough cash,but and taking social welfare payments. I lost job 2 years time,still not working.My question is:should i still will be getting social welfare payments when i buy house?

In my opinion you shouldn't be getting SW payments now.

It is intended as a payment for those who don't have enough to survive without it. You clearly have enough.

It is not meant as an income for those who can meet their needs but choose to let tax payers like me fund you while you go and buy a home with cash. Something most tax payers cannot do.

This kind of thing sickens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MichaelOBrien

topcatcbr wrote: »
    In my opinion you shouldn't be getting SW payments now.

It is intended as a payment for those who don't have enough to survive without it. You clearly have enough.

It is not meant as an income for those who can meet their needs but choose to let tax payers like me fund you while you go and buy a home with cash. Something most tax payers cannot do.

This kind of thing sickens me.

+ 1 , maybe you should think about going to live in the country where you sold your property , and sponge of they're tax payer's instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

If your circumstances change AT ALL you are obliged to inform the Department of Social Protection. Failure to do so is FRAUD.

If you can afford to buy a house then you don't need to be on welfare. Inform them of your income from the sale of your house and have them reassess your case. It is NOT optional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Poor English, a flat in another country and you asked this question in accommodation forum last week

I smell a troll

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement