Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Benefit -v- Allowance

Options
  • 31-12-2013 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry if this topic has been done over and over...

I still can't figure it out. When do the differences between these payments become significant?

For example, am I right (broadly) in this scenario:

I have €30k in the bank, and my partner is on c. €400.00 a week.
    I lose my job. She retains hers. I was earning c. €700.00 weekly.
    Regardless of this cash, and the fact the mrs is pulling in a reasonable wage, if I claim my stamps, I get €188 + whatever increase for partner and kids, for up to 9 months or whatever. Is this correct?

Alternatively, I don't have enough prsi contributions, or my time on stamps has run out.... I in this instance basically get nothing, or a severely reduced payment.

Is that the essential difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

The other difference (you've got that bit right) is that for JSB you need to have "suffered a loss of employment" that is you must have recently been either laid off or at least had your days of work significantly reduced.
    That's not necessary for JSA.
    Also there is no real time limit on JSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You will get a personal rate up to a maximum of €188 pw on jsb. Adult dependant and child dependant on jsb is means tested. Also a portion of jsb is reckonable for tax purposes.

Advertisement