Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN Providers

Options
  • 30-12-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

I want to set up a VPN for my home computer. Which providers are the most stable? Mullvad, Cyberghost etc. I haven't heard of any of them before which ones are the most reliable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Rezident

Oh and also who's the best value for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Use OpenVpn it's free and open source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

check to see if your router has a vpn server built in. You could save money if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭lotas

when you say you want to setup a vpn at home, do you mean to access your home from outside the house, or to look like your coming from a different country? If you are trying to access the home from outside, OpenVPN or your router usually do a good job. If you are trying to "pretend" to be in a different country, then i use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ which works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

i have signed up with bt guard vpn but my download speed is nearly halfed
    i thought i would be able to max out my connection even behinde a vpn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭lotas

naughto wrote: »
    i have signed up with bt guard vpn but my download speed is nearly halfed
    i thought i would be able to max out my connection even behind a vpn

Nope... your overall bandwidth may be using your max line speed, but with the overhead of encryption, etc, you will get less than your full speed... on my 200Mb UPC line, i usually hit about 100-140ish... half is about usual... also, depends on provider and where you are connecting to... A VPN in the UK will be faster than a VPN to NYC, mainly due to the speed of light...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

Well balls to that any way only got fiber in and have decent download speeds,for it to be cut behind a VPN is not worth it.should have got a seedbox and downloaded through ftp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

naughto wrote: »
    Well balls to that any way only got fiber in and have decent download speeds,for it to be cut behind a VPN is not worth it.should have got a seedbox and downloaded through ftp

Usenet ftw, no need for VPN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Not all VPN providers are the same, some keep logs, this is a bad thing. I use Cactus VPN, they have an easy to understand policy on logs:
    ‘We keep only connection logs for 3 days for troubleshooting. But we assure you:
    we do not track and do not know about what you’re uploading/downloading while using our services, and there are no logs including this information;
    we don’t know or register sites you are visiting;
    we don’t know which applications you use.’

They provide a nice windows tool that makes it easy to connect (using SSTP, OpenVPN or L2TP). It can also stop applications when the VPN drops... If you haven't used a VPN before and think you can download whatever you like with impunity...well, WHEN the VPN connection drops (they all do, sooner or later), windows will quite happily start downloading using its normal internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Usenet ftw, no need for VPN

Is that not traffic shaped with your ISP? It is here in the UK by almost all the ISP's, I was lucky if I got 2mbit (256KB) for most of the day even if using SSL connections.... Also most of the big usenet providers get DMCA'd very quickly (the complete data is only available for a few days tops) and you can end up with a incomplete downloads.

But if you are not traffic shaped or your usenet provider is getting away with keeping stuff up for extended periods then yes, its better than VPN for downloads (full line speed from the beginning is great).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

BigEejit wrote: »
    Is that not traffic shaped with your ISP? It is here in the UK by almost all the ISP's, I was lucky if I got 2mbit (256KB) for most of the day even if using SSL connections.... Also most of the big usenet providers get DMCA'd very quickly (the complete data is only available for a few days tops) and you can end up with a incomplete downloads.

But if you are not traffic shaped or your usenet provider is getting away with keeping stuff up for extended periods then yes, its better than VPN for downloads (full line speed from the beginning is great).

No, not with Eircom although I have to use SSL as port 119 seems throttled. With SSL I max my connection.

The idea is to have a setup that finds and downloads them automatically before DMCA. Also, different providers remove different parts as part of DMCA, having a backup block from another provider will fill in the gaps of any parts missed. Sabnzbd alloys you configure a backup server that only gets used if your main one fails to complete.

I rarely miss anything and it's all completely automated by software, it finds content as soon as it's available, adds to download queue, downloads, repairs, extracts, renames and adds nfo and artwork, deletes crap files, moves to my media folder, sends notification that it's done. All I've to do it sit down and watch :D

Advertisement