Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Swimming

Options
  • 30-12-2013 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Just a question for outdoor swimmers from an indoor swimmer. I am thinking of trying the outdoor swimming but what is the general advice needed to make the transition. Where do you guys actually swim outdoors? Rivers, Lakes, the sea or where? Also how do I stay safe? Do I need a wetsuit? Anything else I need to look outdoors. I live in Drogheda. Anybody recommend any good spots for a short outdoor swim. Say 1km or 2km. That is what I typically swim indoors but maybe it's over optimistic outdoors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

There is a league of handicapped open water races running from the first weekend in June to mid September in many locations around Leinster. All the info you need is at http://www.leinsteropensea.ie

If you can swim 2k in the pool, you'll be able for many of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Drogheda triathlon club train over in clogherhead slip, at the fair side of the habour. I believe they also swim in some lake outside the town. Check out there Facebook page fir information.

As you are new to open water I would recommend using a wetsuit and swimming with a group. Small steps first, swim in shallow water near the shore

• Registered Users Posts: 19 greglouth

Clogherhead is really good and Port Beach is pretty good too.

I use full wetsuit as sea is so cold

Advertisement