Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant and in need of housing - advice needed!

Options
  • 30-12-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey there, I'm new to this, but in need of some advice!!

I'm 23, pregnant and on the dole in the cork area.
    My baby is due at the end of march, and currently my living situation isn't ideal. I've been staying with my friends family for the last few months but really need to get my own house sorted ASAP! Don't get me wrong, the family I've been staying with have been great..so kind and really nice to let me stay but I need my own place...I can't bring up a baby in their house and I'm starting to really panic now...don't feel comfortable here any more....

Anyway, what I'm wondering is : how is it possible for me to get enough money together to pay a months rent and deposit up front in order for me to have my own house?? Does anyone know is there somewhere out there I can go to help people like me in a similar situation?

This is the the first time I've not had a job, ( was a chef but lost it due to my pregnancy..) and I just feel stuck...its all getting too overwhelming....any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

KateJ23 wrote: »
    Hey there, I'm new to this, but in need of some advice!!

Anyway, what I'm wondering is : how is it possible for me to get enough money together to pay a months rent and deposit up front in order for me to have my own house?? Does anyone know is there somewhere out there I can go to help people like me in a similar situation?

This is the the first time I've not had a job, ( was a chef but lost it due to my pregnancy..) and I just feel stuck...its all getting too overwhelming....any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Xx

What area of cork are you in ATM? If your city based you should try and go to your local community welfare officer and ask them about getting rent allowance they will help you with a deposit for a place and since your pregnant they will help you get a decent place for when baby arrives :) good luck with it and the Cwo opens Tuesdays to Thursdays and the same is for the rent allowance place :) hope this can be a bit of help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Can you house share?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KateJ23

Thank you :) I'm n mallow for the moment, cheers for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

KateJ23 wrote: »
    Thank you :) I'm n mallow for the moment, cheers for the help

I'm not to sure about that area now but your local Cwo should help you out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No Pants wrote: »
    Can you house share?

Wouldn't be a great idea with a newborn.

OP - Go round to the council offices (I'm not sure if they have an office in Mallow, but they're certainly on the Straight Road). Explain your circumstances and put yourself down on the housing list immediately. In any case, you won't get RA unless you're on the list.

Then go and see the CWO. They'll need to see the paperwork from the council in any case. They might be able to help with deposit and first month's rent.

Good luck to you and the baba! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How is the baby's father contributing to your upkeep, and how much will he be contributing to raising the child?

Where are your own family, and why are they not helping you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

OP.. You should not lose your job just because you are pregnant... can you give a little more background as t how long you were with that employer etc.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

How is the baby's father contributing to your upkeep, and how much will he be contributing to raising the child?

Where are your own family, and why are they not helping you?
    Trish56 wrote: »
    OP.. You should not lose your job just because you are pregnant... can you give a little more background as t how long you were with that employer etc.

The OP is seeking advice on her accommodation needs, neither of these comments address her query. Please remain on topic.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

To be fair the issue of the father and what role he will play is central to what sort of assistance the op might be able to seek from wider society.

Without knowing more about his role it will be difficult to offer concrete advice to the op, who appears to be in a tight spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I would have thought that both posts are relevant to the OP's question.... She is looking for finance to set up home with her new baby.....She has a right to receive maintenance from the Dad to support the baby when it arrives and perhaps she is not aware of this. As regards losing her job because she is pregnant she may have a case for unfair dismissal and again it would help her financial position going forward.

The OP is seeking advice on her accommodation needs, neither of these comments address her query. Please remain on topic.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Trish56 wrote: »
    I would have thought that both posts are relevant to the OP's question.... She is looking for finance to set up home with her new baby.....She has a right to receive maintenance from the Dad to support the baby when it arrives and perhaps she is not aware of this. As regards losing her job because she is pregnant she may have a case for unfair dismissal and again it would help her financial position going forward.

Trish56, legal advice cannot be sought or received on Boards. The discussion of losing her job because of pregnancy and seeking clarification on that area is skirting very close to a breach of this rule.

Also, a gentle reminder to all users, please do not derail the thread by questioning a mod instruction on thread - you can contact mods via pm if required.

Advertisement