Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurances prices up loads in 2014...

Options
  • 30-12-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Got a renewal notice from insurance the last day. Male in mid 20s passed test in teens and insurance has been coming down each year, no claims clean license. This year its gone up the guts of 100 euro and when I check any other companies some are looking for double what I paid last year. What's going on? Have government passed some new tax on the sly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Insurance companies are thieving baxtards [/end thread]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

This has been happening for some time now. Keep ringing around; you should be able to find a better price. Try some brokers; they can usually pull something out of the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

djimi wrote: »
    This has been happening for some time now. Keep ringing around; you should be able to find a better price. Try some brokers; they can usually pull something out of the fire.

Just shocked as it has come down every year (have switched company a few times) until this year.... and after that eu ruling I thought men's insurance was 'supposed' to go down.... not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Just shocked as it has come down every year (have switched company a few times) until this year.... and after that eu ruling I thought men's insurance was 'supposed' to go down.... not.

No, all it meant is that women wouldn't get cheaper prices anymore = more profit for the insurers

The rates were never going to come down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Never gonna happen. They just raised the mens and raised the womens more to match :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

djimi wrote: »

Went with a brooker this year due to an about €150 saving. Does this mean I may have to pay back that saving next year. Hopefully they will still give me the same saving or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Yeah in a perfect world perhaps. That was never going to happen here though.

Its not unheard of for insurers to ask for increased prices at renewal; if you knew how many people just pay their renewal blindly and never ring around then you wouldnt be surprised as to why insurers chance their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Recon_

Hello hello.

Ironically the EU ruling about Gender equality was because of a woman in Europe. So lads the ladies have to thank there own kind for that!

As for the price increase he happens to be in a statistical bracket where he would carry a much higher risk that someone who is 26+.

In general insurance is counter cyclical to the economy. There is a higher frequency of claims with tighter budgets at home being tight.

As for the guy calling insurance companies thief's.... When your house burns down or car is crashed into think about that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Obro

Try AIG Insurance. I saved over €200 and everyone I told about them too also made big savings

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Mine went up over 100 aswell, 22, 5 years ncb,. And noone else will even look at me because of the car i drive, even though Ive had it insured for the past 18 months ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Obro wrote: »
    Try AIG Insurance. I saved over €200 and everyone I told about them too also made big savings

Are you the fella in the bathrobe or the depressed looking fella with the awful haircut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I started an identical thread about two years ago. Been with a broker since, he seems to be able to get €100-€200 lower than me going direct to companies myself. My wife also started driving in the past year and he beat anything we were offered direct by some distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Obro

Are you the fella in the bathrobe or the depressed looking fella with the awful haircut ?

I'm not with you on that one but honestly I made the saving and believe it or not it was my broker that told me to change to them and leave him (the broker). The cover is directly with AIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He is talking about the two fellas in the AIG TV advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It's all because of the actuary.

Unlike Breaking Bad, science in this instance does not rock.

What % increase was the €100? Was it bad?
    I know it's being bourne out by experience that your insurance goes down yearly as you get older, but that is only a small part of the equation.

As the previous poster touched on, seems to be a strange increase in the level of claims during hard times in an economy, or hard times in a disadvantaged area. This impacts. As does fraud.
    They make it clear in those ads - if we have to pay out more, it's you taking the kick in the stones, not us.

Play your cards right, looks like you can make nice money selling insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'd be careful about these small time brokers also.

Some very strange mix of underwriters can emerge.
    I don't know how they fare with payouts etc, but one I had a conversation before with a friend (barrister) about one that had a very aggressive refusal policy indeed.

Their model was designed so as to wear down a certain cohort to the point where they'd give up. It worked, to an extent. Of course, they had cases that went the full stretch also.

Some of the bigger fish are more straight forward for the average man. If they say they'll indemnify you they'll indemnify you. There's little chipping at the agreements and wrangling to get out of it, exploiting any nuisance value, or trying to rattle you.

You'll save €100-200 quid and think you're the business, but it's like anything in life, you either pay for it at the start, or you'll pay it at the end. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Obro wrote: »

Tried AIG there was over a grand. paid 560 ish last year with axa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Tried AIG there was over a grand. paid 560 ish last year with axa.

try first ireland.. I'v been with them 2 years and never had a bother with them. I'm 21 and paid 900 on a 1.6 focus last year which I thought was a good price. I argued my renewal price last year and they immediately offered me a better deal with lots of extras like 'drive any car'

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDkQjBAwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.firstireland.ie%2Findex-5-contact.php&ei=3ijCUuiNNejC7AbTrYCwAw&usg=AFQjCNGRRRFTzuuCmt0dy7MEU8ZbBqMkjg&sig2=ZtBMQ35D2F5gluHZZwHGJQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZGU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Insurance is very frustrating.

Myself and the mrs are 41.
    No change in cars, points nor ever claims on insurance.

Hers came down by €75 to €410
    Mine went from €385 to the broker asking for €620, no explanation just "all insurance is going up".
    I've gone to another broker and they are offering it to me at €490, but it's still a 25% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

One broker is not enough.

I got a letter from my broker regarding renewal. Took it to another broker, got better quotation.

Went back to my broker, showed quotation, got additional discount, actually paid less than a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I want to switch companies. Do you need to show proof of no claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

If you wanna keep your NCB then yes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Mine went up by 120 euro after 12 years being with quinn direct-liberty, so changed to aviva,got fully comp for 280 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Try cullens brokers . I dealt with them today and I must admit they got me a great quote where other crowds were hammering me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

joujoujou wrote: »
    One broker is not enough.

I got a letter from my broker regarding renewal. Took it to another broker, got better quotation.

Went back to my broker, showed quotation, got additional discount, actually paid less than a year ago.

You did the work for your own broker and yet you rewarded him by keeping your business there. The alternative broker deserved your custom

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Got my renewal in the post recently, gone up 15 euro to 365, to be honest I probably won't shop around as they allow me set my own payment schedule due to the time of year it falls due.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Mine is up in feb,did a quick quote with liberty there 632 for tpft,got that from nononsense for 230 last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You can bet a few in Cork will be paying more for their insurance,here's a pic from this evening.Good thinking parking a car there when there's a flood alert.

Bc_rQNnIUAA_DzD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dubs Abu

They must've pre-empted the floods in Cork cos I got my quote with a €50 hike before Christmas!

• Advertisement
Advertisement