Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help!

Options
  • 29-12-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Wasn't sure where to put this thread so I put it here, not sure if its the right place or not.

Thinking about doing teaching next year and was just wondering what the 'concurrent Teacher Education' actually means? Always thought it was just a fancy way of saying it's a teaching degree but someone was saying the other day, not sure if they are correct, that it meant you are a teacher straight away after the degree with no need to do any HDip sort of thing (I know its not a HDip anymore)?

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

There's a Teaching and Lecturing board that may be able to help you. Leave it for a while and see if you get any answers here first, though.

However, concurrent means "existing, happening, or done at the same time.", so I would imagine you're correct in thinking you come out qualified as a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭worseforwear

Wasn't sure where to put this thread so I put it here, not sure if its the right place or not.

Thinking about doing teaching next year and was just wondering what the 'concurrent Teacher Education' actually means? Always thought it was just a fancy way of saying it's a teaching degree but someone was saying the other day, not sure if they are correct, that it meant you are a teacher straight away after the degree with no need to do any HDip sort of thing (I know its not a HDip anymore)?

I think thats it alright. In UL it would be science. Pe. Woodwork and metalwork teaching courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes it means that you are qualified as a teacher after the degree and do not need to do the PDE (HDip). E.g. the teacher training courses in UL that were listed in the previous post, Home Ec teaching in St. Angela's in Sligo, Science Education in Maynooth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Plus the Mater Dei teaching courses, for Religion and English, History or Music.

Usual caveat - PLEASE make yourself aware of the dreadful employment situation for teachers in Ireland, which, realistically, is only going to get worse. If you go in with your eyes open about that, fair enough.

Advertisement