Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds students at an advantage?

Options
  • 29-12-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi I know this has probably been posted before but I am just looking for opinions. I'm aiming for fairly high points around 530/540 and practically all of my friends are getting grinds and going to revision courses. Do you think these students are at an advantage? Don't know whether to jump on the band wagon or to wait till after the mocks :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose they must think so, since they are paying for them, but every year people get the sort of points you are talking about without grinds or revision courses.

If you think you would benefit from them, fire away. You should already have a fair idea of how the mocks are going to go if you're in the market for those sort of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 forevergold22

My problem is English, don't know how to answer a question and the teacher is useless. Don't think there's any point going to English grinds just for that? :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

If your problem is that specific (as in one particular question), I'd try posting a topic about it here and seeing what kinds of advice you get. If you then feel like you still need help, go for some grinds. Just remember that they don't replace study.

Yeah I might do that thanks :) teacher makes us write a minimum of 20 pages when we are writing essays for paper 2 for her to correct and that's why I cannot answer a question!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭CBX

I would say no. Generally it is nothing that cannot be done for no cost if you listened in class, did your homework on the topic, and learned it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Yeah I might do that thanks :) teacher makes us write a minimum of 20 pages when we are writing essays for paper 2 for her to correct and that's why I cannot answer a question!

That seems a bit excessive (in my view). It's quality that counts, not quantity. Sure you can be too succinct, but you'd likely end up spewing quite a bit of waffle if you are going for 20 pages.

I'd rarely get a full 4 pages for poetry or the single text. My writing is only a small bit below average, but I stick to the point and know the pieces I'm referring to.

Thanks, I guess ill just have to practise questions and see how the mocks go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I did a course in English last year at a grinds school which I shall not name and it was diabolical. A complete waste of money. I'm not saying all grinds courses are like this but from my experience they are a waste of time.The Leaving Cert is used as a money racket by so many people and as a repeat student I can see this now. Be careful what you spend your money on. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

I have to say, I really don't get the grinds "schools" where you're in a group of 20+. That defeats the whole point of grinds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think grinds can be counter productive. For something like biology or economics you need to learn definitions. But you need to learn a single set of definitions. Learning one for class and another with grinds on a Friday is going to confuse you and achieve nothing.

However for something like a foreign language or music a one on one grind might help you hugely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I think for subjects where it needs to 'click' grinds are incredibly useful. Sometimes in other subjects they help perfect exam technique, IMO.

Advertisement