Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost a prescription while on holidays in Ireland...advice needed

Options
  • 29-12-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

Not sure where to post this so please move if necessary.

Basically I'm home for Christmas from California. I don't go back for another two weeks. I take a prescription drug called Ativan or Lorazepam (generic). A bag with my entire prescription in it was stolen. I need this medicine for panic attacks and associated anxiety issues.

I have my US doctor medical records with me. Would it be possible to visit a doctor here and get a new prescription? Would they need to contact my doctor in California? Or will my medical records be sufficient? I'm aware that it is a controlled medication in the USA and I'm sure it is here too?

Any help appreciated

BC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Selandia

I work in a doctors surgery and when we get requests like yours from patients who've never attended before there is understandable caution to prescribe drugs such as lorazepam. What I suggest you to is to look for an appt tomorrow with your family's GP - perhaps a family member who attends there regularly would make the appt for you and verify your story of the stolen tabs - if you're ok with that. If you'd understandably prefer privacy, go yourself anyway. You'll probably pay €50-€60 euro for a visit. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Urban_80

Selandia wrote: »
    I work in a doctors surgery and when we get requests like yours from patients who've never attended before there is understandable caution to prescribe drugs such as lorazepam. What I suggest you to is to look for an appt tomorrow with your family's GP - perhaps a family member who attends there regularly would make the appt for you and verify your story of the stolen tabs - if you're ok with that. If you'd understandably prefer privacy, go yourself anyway. You'll probably pay €50-€60 euro for a visit. Good luck

Thanks for your reply. Yeah...we have a family doctor. I was thinking of getting in touch with him but I'm not sure if he has retired yet or not. I have a friend who's mum is a doctor and she knows the family. I guess either of those two might be the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

It's at the GP's discretion, but if you have your medical records and you know the GP (or the family know them) it wouldn't be unreasonable to give you a script for a supply for the rest of your time here + 2-3 days to get you over the hump when you get back to the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Take your flight tickets with you as well, if flying is contributory to your anxiety.
    The GP may also be able/prefer to prescribe a different medication which might bridge the gap.
    Theft of drugs of this nature should be reported to an Garda Siochana even if in small quantities, the reporting of it may also help you get replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Urban_80

Cedrus wrote: »
    Take your flight tickets with you as well, if flying is contributory to your anxiety.
    The GP may also be able/prefer to prescribe a different medication which might bridge the gap.
    Theft of drugs of this nature should be reported to an Garda Siochana even if in small quantities, the reporting of it may also help you get replacements.

Good idea(s) thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement