Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How effective is the 'flu vaccine?

Options
  • 29-12-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about getting the 'flu jab, but two issues worry me:

Given that the 'flu virus is a mutating virus, just how effective can any current seasonal 'flu jab be?

Do 'flu jabs in Ireland still use the preservative Thiomersal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I was thinking about getting the 'flu jab, but two issues worry me:

Given that the 'flu virus is a mutating virus, just how effective can any current seasonal 'flu jab be?

Do 'flu jabs in Ireland still use the preservative Thiomersal?

1) It's better to think that the vaccine reduces your risk of getting flu symptoms rather than preventing it, this year's vaccine only covers you for the 3 strains most likely to affect us in Ireland and the coverage is good (said to be 70-90%).

2) The 2013/14 vaccine doesn't contain Thiomersal (link)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

(My emphasis)
    gctest50 wrote: »

And this is relevant to this year how exactly?

..............And this is relevant to this year how exactly?

Might be a few iffy batches this year ? - it's the small but hopefully worthwhile chance you take just like almost anything else.

It's a bit more than a dose of the sniffles - the flu has killed a good few over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Might be a few iffy batches this year ? - it's the small but hopefully worthwhile chance you take just like almost anything else.

It's a bit more than a dose of the sniffles - the flu has killed a good few over the last few years

Pandemerix was entirely unrelated to the normal seasonal flu vaccine. Additionally that wasn't a case of a "few iffy batches" either.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Pandemerix was entirely unrelated to the normal seasonal flu vaccine.

Never said it was - that would be as daft as bringing your Renault in when Toyota had dodgy brakes
    MYOB wrote: »
    Additionally that wasn't a case of a "few iffy batches" either.

Maybe wasn't - post links ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maybe wasn't - post links ?

Nothing at all has suggested it was a batch-specific issue with Pandemrix that is being linked to narcolepsy - its generally impossible something refuting something that was never even claimed in the first place.

Advertisement